Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Problem formatting tapes in arcserve 12

Posted by coninpe 
May 19, 2009 07:49AM
Hi,

When I format a tape in arcserve 12 , it automatically be sent to the protected media set, then, the only option I have is to remove the media from the protected set because if i don't do this, the software can´t perform the backup 'cause the media is protected, Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanx.
May 20, 2009 08:06AM
I'm not sure why it happens but there should be no need to format the tapes. Do a Quick Erase Plus on the tapes and the job will automatically use it.
May 21, 2009 12:47AM
i format the tapes to write a label on each tape. Is other way to write a label on the tape without formatting? and, how can i do a Quick erase plus?
May 21, 2009 08:03AM
In ARCserve adding a label to a tape is part of the format process.

Quick Erase Plus - right click on the tape and select Erase.

Just let the job name the tapes, there is no need for you to bother with it.

A Rotation job will format them with the name = the day of the week the job ran. So the tape used for the Monday backup will be labeled as Monday.
May 21, 2009 09:09AM
Ok,
I do Quick erase Plus. The tape has no name. Now, what i have to do to put a new label on the tape? Format again? I don't want to use a rotation job.
May 21, 2009 10:11AM
Sure, some find it better to format manually every time, whatever works best for you.

OK well then lets go back to the begining by you explaining what you mean by protected media. Formatting a tape by default does nothing other than just replace the tape header.
May 22, 2009 01:08AM
Ok i start again. The problem is that i have arcserve 12 in spanish and the traslation is different but searching on the internet i find a better traslation:

When i format a tape it automatically be sent to the media pool scratch set, then, the only option I have is to remove the tape from the scratched set because if i don't do this, the software can´t perform the backup 'cause the tape is protected, Is there any way to avoid this?

I hope you understand it better now
May 22, 2009 06:16AM
A tape in the Scratch Set of a Media Pool is available for use by any job using that Pool. So it sounds like the job is not setup to use this media pool, so if the Media Pool is not being used then just delete the Media Pool.
May 25, 2009 06:59AM
OK, it works

Thanks for your help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login