Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

XRS Base Backup Performance

Posted by sselaya 
January 14, 2010 10:44AM
We have been using Syncsorts BackupExpress XRS for our MS Windows backups (and now our Solaris and linux boxes) for a little over a year now. When we first started using this part of the product we were seeing about 10-12meg per second backing up an individual volume during a base backup. Not great, but our testing showed that this might have been the storage vendor we chose as our backup to disk SAN (Xiotech 4000 with SATA drives). Backing up to local disk on a test server we saw twice the performance. Everyone convinced us that it wasnt a big deal because we only run 1 base of a server so only the initial base backup will take a long time.

Anyway, over the last few months I have noticed that when I run new bases for servers we are adding as XRS backups they are only backing up at around 2-4mbps.

Support has not been able to help so far determine where the bottleneck is. I see this on 3.1.1 along with the 3.2beta I am running now.

So, I am curious as to what others are seeing performance wise and what types/brands of storage other XRS users are using to backup to.
January 22, 2010 08:12AM
I sentyou a pm about this issue.
January 22, 2010 08:26AM
Not sure what you mean....

[quote]I sentyou a pm about this issue.[/quote]
January 22, 2010 11:09PM
He's saying he sent you a private message. Look at the top of the forum page: http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/two-way-mirrors-of-backup-central-mailing-lists-4/syncsort-backup-express-12/ and you should see that you have a private message.

If you've been using the mailing list, you'll need to login to the forum using your backup central user id.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login