Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How to findout if NetApp Volumes can be deleted - Out of Cat

Posted by CCchris 
August 15, 2014 02:03AM
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to pull the information from the catalog which Jobs (jobid) are backed up to which Volume / Qtree.

I can see the information in the GUI > Restore (Block or Agentless) but this would mean a lot of clicking for ca 600 Nodes.

I've checked with "db dumptable" on all the db files in the <SSPRODIR>/db Folder but I see no NetApp volumes or Qtrees.

"cat list" is good for the source information but doesn't show the destination.

I haven't been able dumptable on these type of files, any ideas?
<SSPRODIR>/cat/nodename/sschunk.nodename.jobid.db
<SSPRODIR>/cat/nodename/file.nodename.jobid.db

The reason is that I need to cleanup netapp volumes, without deleting backups that are in the catalog. In a perfect world where all the Jobs would have been correctly created, I could rely on the condese cleaning up correctly. This is not the case, first I need to create space in the aggregate before creating new jobs.

Chris
August 15, 2014 05:56AM
Hello,
Place a call into support. We have a tool named “snapshotrecon” that reports any orphaned snapshots and is useful in cleanup efforts.
August 18, 2014 03:54AM
@Don, many thanks for the tool “snapshotrecon” unfortunately this only reports on Catalog Entries Backup Type Block/SnapVault. My Problem is within Agentless where the Job defininations were unclean.

e.g.
Jobname: PF_BA_DEB_MIS_19
Destinations:
| Node: anerly.xxxxxx.xx Source Volume:Datacenter/CLUS/peachy.xxxxxx.xx Destination Device: FAS2240-RZ-A Destination Volume: /vol/PF_BA_DEB_MIS_019 Job Type: BACKUP_VIRTUALIZATION
| Node: anerly.xxxxxx.xx Source Volume:Datacenter/CLUS/peniger.xxxxxx.xx Destination Device: FAS2240-RZ-A Destination Volume: /vol/RZ_Deb_srv_02 Job Type: BACKUP_VIRTUALIZATION
| Node: anerly.xxxxxx.xx Source Volume:Datacenter/CLUS/peters.xxxxxx.xx Destination Device: FAS2240-RZ-A Destination Volume: /vol/RZ_Deb_srv_02 Job Type: BACKUP_VIRTUALIZATION
| Node: anerly.xxxxxx.xx Source Volume:Datacenter/CLUS/petershagen.xxxxxx.xx Destination Device: FAS2240-RZ-A Destination Volume: /vol/RZ_Deb_srv_02 Job Type: BACKUP_VIRTUALIZATION
| Node: anerly.xxxxxx.xx Source Volume:Datacenter/CLUS/pirx.xxxxxx.xx Destination Device: FAS2240-RZ-A Destination Volume: /vol/RZ_Deb_srv_02 Job Type: BACKUP_VIRTUALIZATION
Schedule:
| Inclusion Daily 02:00 Every 1 Day(s) Start from 2013/11/27 Retention 14 days Flags (256, 529)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am able to dump all the catalog filehistory tables (with db dumptable ssfile.db) which includes the destination information, but I don't want to do this in a production environment as this would create too many files (which I also need to cleanup afterwards.

If there is anyway of getting the destination information with syncui I'd be happy, everything else for the analyzation I have.
e.g.
c s <master server>
db login <sysadmin> <sysadmin_password>
report catsearch <nodename> <diskname> .....

I'm just no getting any results back, possibly not the correct syntax.
August 20, 2014 04:56AM
[b]RESOLUTION[/b]:

[b]Tools used[/b]:
Baregrep - Good grep tool for windows
snapshotrecon tool from Support - to get a list of NetApp Volumes being used for "Block" backups
MS Excel - To extract the NetApp Volumes Column from the snapshotrecon output
Notepad++ (Plugins: TextFX & Compare) - Saves time manipulating text files

[b]Procedure:[/b]
Create Text File "volumes in catalog.txt"
[list] a.
Run grep 'secVolume' on <SSPRODIR>/db/APPS/ folder
Dedup the output just to show and sort the Volume names - add list to file

b.
Run "snapshotrecon" tool and copy all Source information (Bex Catalog SnapIDs) to excel and cutout the Volumes Column
Dedup the output just to show and sort the Volume names - add list to file
[/list]
Create Text File "volumes in netapps.txt"
run df -s on both/all NetApps
Dedup the output just to show and sort the Volume names

Compare both files.

Delete NetApp Volumes, after checking that they are not being used for anything else, AND AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Please Post: questions, comments or a better way, if you find one.
March 25, 2015 02:19AM
I thought I would share with you, the syncui command to show how to find the destination for a backup instance.

Adding "reportcatalognodedisk" to the options of the "cat list" command, the destination NetApp and Qtree are reported, I've shorted the output for sake of clarity.

Example:
JobID = cws_sql01
Master Server = MSERVER
Sysadmin Password = PASSWORD

[b]E:Bextools>syncui

c s MSERVER
db login sysadmin PASSWORD
sep ,
cat list, , , , ,cws_sql01, , , , ,reportcatalognodedisk[/b]

1427129741 6 28 31 cws_sql01 CWS-W2K8-SQL01 E: unix 1 0 41592 48 1 PROTECTED/REPORT_NODE_DISK (SNAPID=) (EXTINFO=SNAPID=SSSV_cws_sql01.1427129741,OS_RELEASE=6.1,[color=darkblue]SVSHOST=192.168.0.8[/color],SNAPPROVIDER=null,SVPVOL=E:,[color=darkblue]SVSNODE=CIS-NETAPP-01[/color],SVPNODE=CWS-W2K8-SQL01,[color=red]SVSDIR=/vol/cws_sql01/[cws_sql01]CWS-W2K8-SQL01@{68AA56D5}[/color],STGCNTLNODE=null,JOBID=1427129741,SVPFSTYPE=NTFS,SNAPTS=1427129964,SNAPSET=SSSV_cws_sql01,SNAPLUNID=null,SVSVOL=/vol/cws_sql01,TYPE_OF_SNAPID=3,DUMP_DATE=0,SVPVID={68AA56D5},CANVERIFY=Y)

For full information on using the "cat" commands use "help cat" from the syncui command prommt.
[b]E:Bextools>syncui
c s MSERVER
help cat[/b]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login