Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Long time listener, first time caller...

Posted by Mark440 
September 08, 2007 07:47AM
I've been using BEX for several years now. I would venture the most daunting task is understanding all of its capabilities. We had a lot of misery when we first installed - but that misery was primarily born out of ignorance. We skipped the training - we were all IT professionals you know - and then depended on the backups to save our butts. R-i-g-h-t!

Now we are at the crossroads of needing higher performance. We are considering implementing a disk solution but the debate takes two steps forward....and then a couple of steps back.

Also, the continuing role of tape is another step towards insanity. Some say if you have disk, you only need one copy to tape. Others say regardless of disk, you still should maintain two sets of tapes. And then others suggest thinking twice about the disk in the first place.

Add to it that most IT directors know only one word: cheap The other word they know is: cheap

Chosing hardware is every bit as daunting. The vendor tweaks some benign aspect - and suddenly that tweak is the claim to fame.

I am very interested in improving our performance to meet recovery issues, as well as shrinking the backup window. That said.....I'm all ears!
September 08, 2007 04:24PM
Mark,

One thing is to get with Syncsort Tech Support and ask them to help you performance tune BackEx. It can be tuned and performance will be better overall. But due to every aspect of the software, one setting change can affect another in a positive or negative manner. It will take a few hours to perf tune it, but Syncsort has always been great with helping us perf tune and resolve issues. Their support is 2nd to none when it comes to critical issues with backups. :D
I know, we also support Legato and Netbackup and getting a return call from either of those on a critical call is a pure miracle. :(
September 08, 2007 06:39PM
Have to agree. Syncsort has always been very good on their support. Add to it that our account rep is one of the best we have had.
September 18, 2007 08:51AM
Hi Mark,
I'm a software engineer with Syncsort. Feel free to call our support line at (201) 930-8280. One of the engineers will be glad to answer your questions regarding performance.
Thanks.
March 24, 2009 09:09AM
I've been researching SyncSort recently with keen interest in their ease of use and performance within VMware infrastructure. How does SS compare with DataDomain, Commvault Simpana and VRTS NBU?

thanks -
SolutionsArchitect -TAJ
March 24, 2009 12:19PM
[quote]I've been researching SyncSort recently with keen interest in their ease of use and performance within VMware infrastructure. How does SS compare with DataDomain, Commvault Simpana and VRTS NBU?

thanks -
SolutionsArchitect -TAJ[/quote]

At the risk of sounding like a brochure...BEX can go toe-to-toe on features with any of the above - and adds "Instant Virtualization" a feature you really need to see at work. Base and Incremental backups can be virtualized in just a few minutes - giving you a working VM of a backed up node at the point in time of any base or incremental backup - with no data transfer. This is accomplished by iSCSI mounting the backup image itself. Full virtualization, VCB functionality, and all the other features out there are also fully supported.

Backups are disk-to-disk with a one-time base followed by block-level incrementals forever. These backups can be double-protected to tape (from the secondary storage device with zero burden on the client) and the entire secondary storage device (Advanced Recovery Server) can be replicated to a second Recovery Server.

Okay, I guess I came off sounding like a brochure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login