Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Still maintained?

Posted by Richard Hector 
Richard Hector
Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 02:59AM
Hi all,

There seems to be next to no traffic on this list, no updates (in the
dev changelog) since 2009(?) and 53 bugs in the tracker.

Is anything being done on this package?

Is anyone reading the list?

Cheers,
Richard

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
David Precious
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 03:59AM
On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 23:45:51 +1300
Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> There seems to be next to no traffic on this list, no updates (in the
> dev changelog) since 2009(?) and 53 bugs in the tracker.
>
> Is anything being done on this package?

sol1 took over maintainership in 2016 "with the blessing of the
original author, Ben Escoto, and from the most recent maintainer(s)";
code on GitHub with some activity:

https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup

It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated to
refer to the Github repo.


> Is anyone reading the list?

Well, I am, at least :) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.

Cheers,

Dave P


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Richard Hector
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 03:59AM
On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Feb 2018 23:45:51 +1300
> Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> There seems to be next to no traffic on this list, no updates (in the
>> dev changelog) since 2009(?) and 53 bugs in the tracker.
>>
>> Is anything being done on this package?
>
> sol1 took over maintainership in 2016 "with the blessing of the
> original author, Ben Escoto, and from the most recent maintainer(s)";
> code on GitHub with some activity:
>
> https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup
>
> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated to
> refer to the Github repo.
>
>
>> Is anyone reading the list?
>
> Well, I am, at least :) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave P

Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)

Richard


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Richard Hector
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 03:59AM
On 06/02/18 00:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>>> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated to
>>> refer to the Github repo.
>
> +1

Likewise the Debian package page. I could file a debian bug for that ...
but it's probably better to have the nongnu site updated first.

Richard


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Rudy Zijlstra
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 04:00AM
On 2018-02-05 12:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>>> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated to
>>> refer to the Github repo.
> +1
>
>>>> Is anyone reading the list?
>>> Well, I am, at least :) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.
>> Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
> I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in production.
>
Same here :)

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Jari Mikkilä
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 04:59AM
On 5.2.2018 13:58, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> On 2018-02-05 12:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>>>> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated
>>>> to
>>>> refer to the Github repo.
>> +1
>>
>>>>> Is anyone reading the list?
>>>> Well, I am, at least :) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.
>>> Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
>> I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in
>> production.
>>
> Same here :)
>

One more.

At in home and in production systems.

- J

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Rainer Plum
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 06:59AM
+1

Rainer

home + prod

Am 05.02.2018 um 11:45 schrieb Richard Hector:
> Hi all,
>
> There seems to be next to no traffic on this list, no updates (in the
> dev changelog) since 2009(?) and 53 bugs in the tracker.
>
> Is anything being done on this package?
>
> Is anyone reading the list?
>
> Cheers,
> Richard
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
>


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Lew Wolfgang
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 07:59AM
On 02/05/2018 03:04 AM, David Precious wrote:
>> Is anyone reading the list?
> Well, I am, at least:) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.

As do I!  We couldn't get along without it!  I back up dozens of
desktops and servers containing many terabytes of data.  Just
last week a user asked me to recover a file he mistakenly deleted
a few weeks ago.  For the record, the machines are all running
openSUSE Linux.

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Glenn Hollowell
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 09:59AM
Me too. 
On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 14:45 +0200, Jari Mikkilä wrote:
> On 5.2.2018 13:58, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> >
> > On 2018-02-05 12:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
> > >
> > > On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
> > > >
> > > > On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were
> > > > > updated 
> > > > > to
> > > > > refer to the Github repo.
> > > +1
> > >
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > >
> > > > > > Is anyone reading the list?
> > > > > Well, I am, at least :)  Also still actively using rdiff-
> > > > > backup.
> > > > Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
> > > I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in 
> > > production.
> > >
> > Same here :)
> >
>
> One more.
>
> At in home and in production systems.
>
> - J
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBa
> ckupWiki
>

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Mr. Clif
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 10:59AM
+1 at home and production servers.

Also wrote this: https://eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/Rdiff-backup-delete

would be nice if that functionality could be folded back in to
Rdiff-backup. :-)

    Clif Cox

On 02/05/2018 07:43 AM, Glenn Hollowell wrote:
> Me too.
> On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 14:45 +0200, Jari Mikkilä wrote:
>> On 5.2.2018 13:58, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>>> On 2018-02-05 12:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
>>>> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>>>>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>>>>>> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were
>>>>>> updated
>>>>>> to
>>>>>> refer to the Github repo.
>>>> +1
>>>>
>>>>>>> Is anyone reading the list?
>>>>>> Well, I am, at least :)  Also still actively using rdiff-
>>>>>> backup.
>>>>> Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
>>>> I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in
>>>> production.
>>>>
>>> Same here :)
>>>
>> One more.
>>
>> At in home and in production systems.
>>
>> - J
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
>> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
>> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBa
>> ckupWiki
>>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
C O'Donnell
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 10:59AM
+6 production servers, one with ~1.4T data.


On 02/05/2018 01:25 PM, Mr. Clif wrote:
> +1 at home and production servers.
>
> Also wrote this:
> https://eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/Rdiff-backup-delete
>
> would be nice if that functionality could be folded back in to
> Rdiff-backup. :-)
>
>     Clif Cox
>
> On 02/05/2018 07:43 AM, Glenn Hollowell wrote:
>> Me too.
>> On Mon, 2018-02-05 at 14:45 +0200, Jari Mikkilä wrote:
>>> On 5.2.2018 13:58, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>>>> On 2018-02-05 12:42, Janne Peltonen wrote:
>>>>> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>>>>>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>>>>>>> It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were
>>>>>>> updated
>>>>>>> to
>>>>>>> refer to the Github repo.
>>>>> +1
>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Is anyone reading the list?
>>>>>>> Well, I am, at least :)  Also still actively using rdiff-
>>>>>>> backup.
>>>>>> Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
>>>>> I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in
>>>>> production.
>>>>>
>>>> Same here :)
>>>>
>>> One more.
>>>
>>> At in home and in production systems.
>>>
>>> - J
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
>>> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
>>> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBa
>>> ckupWiki
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
>> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
>> Wiki URL:
>> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL:
> http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Eric Robinson
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 10:59AM
I have 100 Linux servers are that dependent on rdiff-backup. Our backup strategy revolves around it. We sure hope it does not go away!

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rdiff-backup-users [mailto:rdiff-backup-users-
> bounces+eric.robinson=psmnv.com@nongnu.org] On Behalf Of Lew Wolfgang
> Sent: Monday, February 05, 2018 7:07 AM
> To: rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> Subject: Re: [rdiff-backup-users] Still maintained?
>
> On 02/05/2018 03:04 AM, David Precious wrote:
> >> Is anyone reading the list?
> > Well, I am, at least:) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.
>
> As do I!  We couldn't get along without it!  I back up dozens of desktops and
> servers containing many terabytes of data.  Just last week a user asked me to
> recover a file he mistakenly deleted a few weeks ago.  For the record, the
> machines are all running openSUSE Linux.
>
> Regards,
> Lew Wolfgang
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
> https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
> Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Robert Nichols
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 11:59AM
On 02/05/2018 12:25 PM, Mr. Clif wrote:
> +1 at home and production servers.
>
> Also wrote this: https://eugenemakerspace.com/wiki/Sites/Rdiff-backup-delete
>
> would be nice if that functionality could be folded back in to Rdiff-backup. :-)
>
>     Clif Cox

I wrote a script that does that too. Calling it merely "ugly" would be doing an injustice to all other ugly things in the world, but it works as long as there is no long_filename_data in the archive. The script resides among all the other ugly scripts I wrote to audit the rdiff-backup archive and clean up the stuff that rdiff-backup mishandles. And then there's the script I wrote to get rid of the over 4 million unnecessary "zero diff" files in my archive. That cleanup is part of my nightly backup routine now.

Yes, what has been released as "rdiff-backup" is stagnant and has its faults, but nothing else comes close to doing what it does. so it goes on. I'm not looking forward to the day when Python 2 falls by the wayside and drags all things dependent on it down too.

--
Bob Nichols "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
Do NOT delete it.


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Graeme Robinson
Re: Still maintained?
February 05, 2018 03:59PM
On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:42 PM, Janne Peltonen <trkr+list@sange.fi> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 12:27:32AM +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> On 06/02/18 00:04, David Precious wrote:
>> > It would be nice if http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ were updated to
>> > refer to the Github repo.
>
> +1
>
>> >> Is anyone reading the list?
>> > Well, I am, at least :) Also still actively using rdiff-backup.
>> Great, thanks. At least I know I'm not alone with this :-)
>
> I'm also still following the list and using rdiff-backup in production.

Same here!

--
graemer@graenet.com

http://www.graenet.com

+61420279316

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Nicholas Bailey
Re: Still maintained?
February 08, 2018 08:59AM
On Thursday, 8 February 2018 04:03:27 GMT Wes Cilldhaire wrote:
> ...
> I just wanted to let you know that we have included the functionality from
> rdiff-backup-delete into the github repository as a python script already:
> https://github.com/sol1/rdiff-backup/blob/master/rdiff-backup/misc/rdiff-bac
> kup-delete.py
>
> There's more work to be done with it though - at the moment it's a pretty
> slow algorithm that operates on supplied filenames sequentially and there
> is plenty of opportunity to optimize it for better performance.
>
Thank you for posting Wes. I'm using rdiff-backup "in production" too. It's
great to hear you're on the case, and that you understand the Open Source way.

I've just been looking into Raspberry Pi and Suspend to Ram. Somebody asked
about it on their list and they said "That isn't going to happen". So glad you
are the opposite of that.

JB/.


_______________________________________________
rdiff-backup-users mailing list at rdiff-backup-users@nongnu.org
https://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/rdiff-backup-users
Wiki URL: http://rdiff-backup.solutionsfirst.com.au/index.php/RdiffBackupWiki
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login