Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?

Posted by Zoltan Forray 
Zoltan Forray
SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
March 15, 2018 05:59AM
Back a while ago, I could never get ahold of my IBM representative to ask
questions about licensing so I am taking a shot here.

Per Passport, we license IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition and IBM
Spectrum Protect Suite.

When going through the Passport software download list, it includes
Spectrum Protect Plus. From yesterdays presentation of SPP, it looks like
a clone of VMware vDP (which is being discontinued), which we use and
realize we need to move away from. So management is very interested in SPP.

The question I have is, since it is in my software download list on
Passport, are we automatically licensed for it?

One item on the list of downloadable SPP pieces-parts is the item "IBM
Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.0 License Key for Trial Upgrade Multilingual
(CNMM8ML)"

Does this mean the base SPP is considered a "trial" and this is my official
key to un-trial it? Other files in the list include "IBM Spectrum Protect
Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Multilingual (CNMM0ML)" and "IBM Spectrum Protect
Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Trial Multilingual (CNMM1ML)"



--
*Zoltan Forray*
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
Xymon Monitor Administrator
VMware Administrator
Virginia Commonwealth University
UCC/Office of Technology Services
www.ucc.vcu.edu
zforray@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
security number or confidential personal information. For more details
visit http://phishing.vcu.edu/
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Uwe Schreiber
Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
March 15, 2018 06:59AM
Zoltan,
SPP is included in the Spectrum Protect Suite since version 8.1.4
Spectrum Protect 8.1.4 Suites include entitlement for Spectrum Protect
Plus.
Spectrum Protect Plus is measured on a per Managed Virtual Server, or
virtual machine (VM), metric. 1 TB of Spectrum Protect Suite or
Spectrum Protect Suite Entry entitles a customer to protect 10 VMs with
Spectrum Protect Plus. 1 TB of Spectrum Protect Suite - Front End or
Spectrum Protect Suite Entry - Front End entitles a customer to protect
15 VMs with Spectrum Protect Plus.
When consuming Spectrum Protect Plus through Spectrum Protect Suite
licensing, offload of data from Spectrum Protect Plus to Spectrum
Protect Server is included in Spectrum Protect Plus entitlement. In
this case, the capacity of the data offloaded is not required to be
measured nor does it require additional capacity entitlement.
Please have a look a the announcement.https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi
/ShowDoc.wss?docURL=/common/ssi/rep_ca/2/897/ENUS217-
552/index.html&lang=en&request_locale=en
On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 08:51 -0400, Zoltan Forray wrote:
> Back a while ago, I could never get ahold of my IBM representative to
> ask
> questions about licensing so I am taking a shot here.
>
> Per Passport, we license IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition and
> IBM
> Spectrum Protect Suite.
>
> When going through the Passport software download list, it includes
> Spectrum Protect Plus. From yesterdays presentation of SPP, it looks
> like
> a clone of VMware vDP (which is being discontinued), which we use and
> realize we need to move away from. So management is very interested
> in SPP.
>
> The question I have is, since it is in my software download list on
> Passport, are we automatically licensed for it?
>
> One item on the list of downloadable SPP pieces-parts is the item
> "IBM
> Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.0 License Key for Trial Upgrade
> Multilingual
> (CNMM8ML)"
>
> Does this mean the base SPP is considered a "trial" and this is my
> official
> key to un-trial it? Other files in the list include "IBM Spectrum
> Protect
> Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Multilingual (CNMM0ML)" and "IBM Spectrum
> Protect
> Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Trial Multilingual (CNMM1ML)"
>
>
>
> --
> *Zoltan Forray*
> Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> Xymon Monitor Administrator
> VMware Administrator
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> UCC/Office of Technology Services
> www.ucc.vcu.edu
> zforray@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations
> will
> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> security number or confidential personal information. For more
> details
> visit http://phishing.vcu.edu/



Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Uwe Schreiber

SVA System Vertrieb Alexander GmbH
Borsigstraße 14
65205 Wiesbaden-Nordenstadt

Tel.: +49 6122 536-0
Fax: +49 6122 536-399
Mobil: +49 151 1802 5802
eMail: uwe.schreiber@sva.de

Geschäftsführung: Philipp Alexander, Sven Eichelbaum
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Wiesbaden
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Wiesbaden, HRB 10315
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Hi Zoltan,

Spectrum Protect Plus was added to the Spectrum Protect Suites and
Spectrum Storage Suite in 4Q17.

That means, if you are a Suite customer, you are entitled to use Spectrum
Protect Plus.


https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?infotype=AN&subtype=CA&htmlfid=897/ENUS217-552&appname=USN



Del

----------------------------------------------------


"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 03/15/2018
08:51:29 AM:

> From: Zoltan Forray <zforray@VCU.EDU>
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 03/15/2018 08:52 AM
> Subject: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Back a while ago, I could never get ahold of my IBM representative to
ask
> questions about licensing so I am taking a shot here.
>
> Per Passport, we license IBM Spectrum Protect Extended Edition and IBM
> Spectrum Protect Suite.
>
> When going through the Passport software download list, it includes
> Spectrum Protect Plus. From yesterdays presentation of SPP, it looks
like
> a clone of VMware vDP (which is being discontinued), which we use and
> realize we need to move away from. So management is very interested in
SPP.
>
> The question I have is, since it is in my software download list on
> Passport, are we automatically licensed for it?
>
> One item on the list of downloadable SPP pieces-parts is the item "IBM
> Spectrum Protect Plus V10.1.0 License Key for Trial Upgrade Multilingual
> (CNMM8ML)"
>
> Does this mean the base SPP is considered a "trial" and this is my
official
> key to un-trial it? Other files in the list include "IBM Spectrum
Protect
> Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Multilingual (CNMM0ML)" and "IBM Spectrum
Protect
> Plus V10.1.0 for Vmware Trial Multilingual (CNMM1ML)"
>
>
>
> --
> *Zoltan Forray*
> Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> Xymon Monitor Administrator
> VMware Administrator
> Virginia Commonwealth University
> UCC/Office of Technology Services
> www.ucc.vcu.edu
> zforray@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> security number or confidential personal information. For more details
> visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=http-3A__phishing.vcu.edu_&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=MajlxAVdB70luCyCp4TSboTTq9nTbSdAKE01E-
> ckAKg&s=KzbCZE8vzKJNauuEVvUxajB6WB7mDaiI0duo9HW81Os&e=
>
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Matthew McGeary
Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
March 22, 2018 01:59PM
Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.

Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to deploy plus.

On Mar 22, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Matthew McGeary <Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com<mailto:Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com>> wrote:

Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.

Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to deploy plus.

For more information on Nutrien's email policy or to unsubscribe, click here: https://www.nutrien.com/important-notice
Pour plus de renseignements sur la politique de courrier ?lectronique d'Nutrien ou pour vous d?sabonnez, cliquez ici : https://www.nutrien.com/avis-important
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Hi Matt,

That's not correct.

It sounds like the person who gave you the briefing was not clear.

There are three general models:

1. If you purchase SPP "stand alone" (i.e. not via Suite), you pay per VM.
If you offload to Spectrum Protect, you pay for those offloaded TBs
managed by Spectrum Protect.

2. If you have one of the Spectrum Protect Suites, you use the ratio
(FE=15VM/TB, BE=10VM/TB) ... which includes the offload TBs to Spectrum
Protect.

3. If you have the Spectrum Storage Suite, it is based on backend TBs in
the vSnap repository, after deduplication and compression. Again, this is
only for the Spectrum Storage Suites, not the Spectrum Protect Suites.


Del

----------------------------------------------------

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 03/22/2018
04:16:47 PM:

> From: Matthew McGeary <Matthew.McGeary@NUTRIEN.COM>
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 03/22/2018 04:18 PM
> Subject: Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
>
> Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> deploy plus.
>
> On Mar 22, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Matthew McGeary
<Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com<
> mailto:Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com>> wrote:
>
> Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
>
> Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> deploy plus.
>
> For more information on Nutrien's email policy or to unsubscribe, click
here:
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
>
u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_important-2Dnotice&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=fZeipwFHM3JOC4jDB_MmurzxMKUYXdwZ6kzRf-TUDcc&e=
> Pour plus de renseignements sur la politique de courrier ?
> lectronique d'Nutrien ou pour vous d?sabonnez, cliquez ici :
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_avis-2Dimportant&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=7imbzwhiwqiFFr5wSK0UCaeF-0ir1iFzIhZwtSSv8Gs&e=
>
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Zoltan Forray
Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
April 30, 2018 08:59AM
Del,

We would like details on SPP licensing costs but can't find anyone from IBM
to talk $$$$ and our license renews in 60-days.

Can you help?

Zoltan Forray
Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
VMware Administrator
Xymon Administrator
VCU Computer Center
zforray@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
security number or confidential personal information. For more details
visit https://phishing.vcu.edu

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, 4:45 PM Del Hoobler <hoobler@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> That's not correct.
>
> It sounds like the person who gave you the briefing was not clear.
>
> There are three general models:
>
> 1. If you purchase SPP "stand alone" (i.e. not via Suite), you pay per VM.
> If you offload to Spectrum Protect, you pay for those offloaded TBs
> managed by Spectrum Protect.
>
> 2. If you have one of the Spectrum Protect Suites, you use the ratio
> (FE=15VM/TB, BE=10VM/TB) ... which includes the offload TBs to Spectrum
> Protect.
>
> 3. If you have the Spectrum Storage Suite, it is based on backend TBs in
> the vSnap repository, after deduplication and compression. Again, this is
> only for the Spectrum Storage Suites, not the Spectrum Protect Suites.
>
>
> Del
>
> ----------------------------------------------------
>
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 03/22/2018
> 04:16:47 PM:
>
> > From: Matthew McGeary <Matthew.McGeary@NUTRIEN.COM>
> > To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> > Date: 03/22/2018 04:18 PM
> > Subject: Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
> > Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
> >
> > Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> > stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> > entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
> >
> > Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> > model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> > deploy plus.
> >
> > On Mar 22, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Matthew McGeary
> <Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com<
> > mailto:Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> > stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> > entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
> >
> > Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> > model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> > deploy plus.
> >
> > For more information on Nutrien's email policy or to unsubscribe, click
> here:
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> >
> u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_important-2Dnotice&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> >
>
> siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> > mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=fZeipwFHM3JOC4jDB_MmurzxMKUYXdwZ6kzRf-TUDcc&e=
> > Pour plus de renseignements sur la politique de courrier ?
> > lectronique d'Nutrien ou pour vous d?sabonnez, cliquez ici :
> > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> > u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_avis-2Dimportant&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> >
>
> siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> > mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=7imbzwhiwqiFFr5wSK0UCaeF-0ir1iFzIhZwtSSv8Gs&e=
> >
>
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Hi Zoltan,

I can help find the right person for you.

I will contact you outside the listserver to follow up.

Del

----------------------------------------------------


"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 04/30/2018
11:32:46 AM:

> From: Zoltan Forray <zforray@VCU.EDU>
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Date: 04/30/2018 11:33 AM
> Subject: Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
> Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
>
> Del,
>
> We would like details on SPP licensing costs but can't find anyone from
IBM
> to talk $$$$ and our license renews in 60-days.
>
> Can you help?
>
> Zoltan Forray
> Spectrum Protect (p.k.a. TSM) Software & Hardware Administrator
> VMware Administrator
> Xymon Administrator
> VCU Computer Center
> zforray@vcu.edu - 804-828-4807
> Don't be a phishing victim - VCU and other reputable organizations will
> never use email to request that you reply with your password, social
> security number or confidential personal information. For more details
> visit https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> u=https-3A__phishing.vcu.edu&d=DwIBaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=JGKiSkCR3nJHeQHMAj-4Zwy5ZrAfXW8f_0NYT8p_0vE&s=roR54umzcWB_VBPTbLFPzjhVGBvFZOI4ZcNIhmXxvCA&e=
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018, 4:45 PM Del Hoobler <hoobler@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > That's not correct.
> >
> > It sounds like the person who gave you the briefing was not clear.
> >
> > There are three general models:
> >
> > 1. If you purchase SPP "stand alone" (i.e. not via Suite), you pay per
VM.
> > If you offload to Spectrum Protect, you pay for those offloaded TBs
> > managed by Spectrum Protect.
> >
> > 2. If you have one of the Spectrum Protect Suites, you use the ratio
> > (FE=15VM/TB, BE=10VM/TB) ... which includes the offload TBs to
Spectrum
> > Protect.
> >
> > 3. If you have the Spectrum Storage Suite, it is based on backend TBs
in
> > the vSnap repository, after deduplication and compression. Again, this
is
> > only for the Spectrum Storage Suites, not the Spectrum Protect Suites.
> >
> >
> > Del
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------
> >
> > "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 03/22/2018
> > 04:16:47 PM:
> >
> > > From: Matthew McGeary <Matthew.McGeary@NUTRIEN.COM>
> > > To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> > > Date: 03/22/2018 04:18 PM
> > > Subject: Re: SPP licensing/included with SP Extended Edition/Suite?
> > > Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU>
> > >
> > > Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> > > stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> > > entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
> > >
> > > Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> > > model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> > > deploy plus.
> > >
> > > On Mar 22, 2018, at 2:13 PM, Matthew McGeary
> > <Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com<
> > > mailto:Matthew.McGeary@nutrien.com>> wrote:
> > >
> > > Strange, I was just in a product briefing and was informed that the
> > > stored data in the Plus repository counted against the TB in our
> > > entitled capacity, not this 10 VM/TB model.
> > >
> > > Based on our existing deployments and stored data, the 10 VM/TB
> > > model will result in a fair bit of additional required licensing to
> > > deploy plus.
> > >
> > > For more information on Nutrien's email policy or to unsubscribe,
click
> > here:
> > > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> > >
> >
u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_important-2Dnotice&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > >
> >
> >
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> > > mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=fZeipwFHM3JOC4jDB_MmurzxMKUYXdwZ6kzRf-TUDcc&e=
> > > Pour plus de renseignements sur la politique de courrier ?
> > > lectronique d'Nutrien ou pour vous d?sabonnez, cliquez ici :
> > > https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?
> > >
u=https-3A__www.nutrien.com_avis-2Dimportant&d=DwIFAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > >
> >
> >
>
siA1ZOg&r=0hq2JX5c3TEZNriHEs7Zf7HrkY2fNtONOrEOM8Txvk8&m=bI8AAThkDrL-05Ul4CmmPw_-
> > > mGu4_xHQLUSB2BbexH8&s=7imbzwhiwqiFFr5wSK0UCaeF-0ir1iFzIhZwtSSv8Gs&e=
> > >
> >
>
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login