Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

dsm.sys question

Posted by Rhodes, Richard L. 
Rhodes, Richard L.
dsm.sys question
February 27, 2019 11:59AM
Hello,

Our Unix team in implementing a management application named Puppet.
They are running into a problem using Puppet to setup/maintain the
TSM client dsm.sys files. They create/maintain the dsm.sys as
per a template of some kind. If you change a dsm.sys with a unique
option, it gets overwritten by the standard template when Puppet
refreshes/checks the file. The inclexcl option pulls include/excludes
from a separate local file so this works fine for local specific needs.
But some systems need other settings or whole servername stanzas that
are unique. I've looked through the BA client manual and see no way to
include arbitrary lines from some other file into dsm.sys.

Q) Is there a way to source options from another file into the dsm.sys, kind of like the inclexcl option does?


Thanks

Rick
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Skylar Thompson
Re: dsm.sys question
February 27, 2019 11:59AM
Hi Rick,

I'm not aware of a mechanism that allows one to do that with dsmc/dsm.sys,
but Puppet does have the ability to include arbitrary lines in a file,
either via a template or directly in a rule definition.

Another option would be to use server-side client option sets:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_mgclinod_mkclioptsets.html

These options mirror what can be set in dsm.sys, and can either be
overridden by the client, or enforced by the server.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:58:30PM +0000, Rhodes, Richard L. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our Unix team in implementing a management application named Puppet.
> They are running into a problem using Puppet to setup/maintain the
> TSM client dsm.sys files. They create/maintain the dsm.sys as
> per a template of some kind. If you change a dsm.sys with a unique
> option, it gets overwritten by the standard template when Puppet
> refreshes/checks the file. The inclexcl option pulls include/excludes
> from a separate local file so this works fine for local specific needs.
> But some systems need other settings or whole servername stanzas that
> are unique. I've looked through the BA client manual and see no way to
> include arbitrary lines from some other file into dsm.sys.
>
> Q) Is there a way to source options from another file into the dsm.sys, kind of like the inclexcl option does?
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2@u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department, System Administrator
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington School of Medicine
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Harris, Steven
Re: dsm.sys question
February 27, 2019 03:59PM
Rick

The m4 macro processor is a standard unix offering and can do anything from simple includes and variable substitutions to lisp-like processing that will boggle your mind. An m4 macro with some include files and a makefile with a cron job to build your dsm.sys might do the job.

Cheers

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Skylar Thompson
Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2019 6:10 AM
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.sys question

Hi Rick,

I'm not aware of a mechanism that allows one to do that with dsmc/dsm.sys, but Puppet does have the ability to include arbitrary lines in a file, either via a template or directly in a rule definition.

Another option would be to use server-side client option sets:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_mgclinod_mkclioptsets.html

These options mirror what can be set in dsm.sys, and can either be overridden by the client, or enforced by the server.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:58:30PM +0000, Rhodes, Richard L. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our Unix team in implementing a management application named Puppet.
> They are running into a problem using Puppet to setup/maintain the TSM
> client dsm.sys files. They create/maintain the dsm.sys as per a
> template of some kind. If you change a dsm.sys with a unique option,
> it gets overwritten by the standard template when Puppet
> refreshes/checks the file. The inclexcl option pulls include/excludes
> from a separate local file so this works fine for local specific needs.
> But some systems need other settings or whole servername stanzas that
> are unique. I've looked through the BA client manual and see no way
> to include arbitrary lines from some other file into dsm.sys.
>
> Q) Is there a way to source options from another file into the dsm.sys, kind of like the inclexcl option does?
>
>
> Thanks
>
> Rick
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> --------
>
> The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2@u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department, System Administrator
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington School of Medicine

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its content to anyone.

This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or dispose of a financial product.

For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Skylar Thompson
Re: dsm.sys question
February 27, 2019 03:59PM
I don't know that this approach would work - Puppet would see that the file
differs from the deployed file, and would just overwrite it the next time
the agent runs. Puppet would need to manage dsm.sys completely[1] with
Rick's desired changes, or those options would have to be taken out of
dsm.sys and placed server-side.

[1] I think there might be a way to have Puppet only manage a block in a
file, but this would be pretty complicated and prone to error.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:04:43PM +0000, Harris, Steven wrote:
> Rick
>
> The m4 macro processor is a standard unix offering and can do anything from simple includes and variable substitutions to lisp-like processing that will boggle your mind. An m4 macro with some include files and a makefile with a cron job to build your dsm.sys might do the job.
>
> Cheers
>
> Steve
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Skylar Thompson
> Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2019 6:10 AM
> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.sys question
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> I'm not aware of a mechanism that allows one to do that with dsmc/dsm.sys, but Puppet does have the ability to include arbitrary lines in a file, either via a template or directly in a rule definition.
>
> Another option would be to use server-side client option sets:
>
> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_mgclinod_mkclioptsets.html
>
> These options mirror what can be set in dsm.sys, and can either be overridden by the client, or enforced by the server.
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:58:30PM +0000, Rhodes, Richard L. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Our Unix team in implementing a management application named Puppet.
> > They are running into a problem using Puppet to setup/maintain the TSM
> > client dsm.sys files. They create/maintain the dsm.sys as per a
> > template of some kind. If you change a dsm.sys with a unique option,
> > it gets overwritten by the standard template when Puppet
> > refreshes/checks the file. The inclexcl option pulls include/excludes
> > from a separate local file so this works fine for local specific needs.
> > But some systems need other settings or whole servername stanzas that
> > are unique. I've looked through the BA client manual and see no way
> > to include arbitrary lines from some other file into dsm.sys.
> >
> > Q) Is there a way to source options from another file into the dsm.sys, kind of like the inclexcl option does?
> >
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rick
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > --------
> >
> > The information contained in this message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.
>
> --
> -- Skylar Thompson (skylar2@u.washington.edu)
> -- Genome Sciences Department, System Administrator
> -- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
> -- University of Washington School of Medicine
>
> This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or disclose its content to anyone.
>
> This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or dispose of a financial product.
>
> For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au
>
> Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2@u.washington.edu)
-- Genome Sciences Department, System Administrator
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington School of Medicine
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Bronder, David M
Re: Re: dsm.sys question
February 27, 2019 03:59PM
For a pure TSM/SP client solution, beyond what can be done with an inclexcl
file or server-side client option sets as you and Skylar have already noted,
I think you're out of luck.

You probably have several options from the Puppet side, though...

You could use file_line resource in Pupppet's stdlib (carefully, if you're
trying to manage multi-line content such as a server stanza) to manage a
subset of the content of the dsm.sys file.

You could also look at the concat module to generate the dsm.sys file from
component files, as long as you manage all the components in Puppet as well.
(If you don't, it can still work, but can also have unexpected behavior. It
sounds like this is what you're actually looking for, but I would generally
recommend you manage the "local" content with Puppet as well. In particular,
with a local-only component, I believe concat would only rebuild the
composite file if one of the Puppet-managed components changed. But there
are a couple different ways to use concat.)

Or if you're feeling ambitious, you could write an Augeas lens for TSM/SP
config files... :-) (If you do, please contribute back to the community!)

Depending on how your existing dsm.sys template is (or could be) defined, and
how you would manage "local" content in Puppet (if you're willing/able to do
so), it should also be possible to get the template to pull in the "local"
bits when and where you need.

(When using Puppet to manage dsm.sys in a SP replication setting, I would
expect things to get even more interesting, since the client wants to manage
some of the dsm.sys content itself. You can end up with the SP client and
Puppet fighting over the file.)


On 2/27/19 5:11 PM, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> I don't know that this approach would work - Puppet would see that the file
> differs from the deployed file, and would just overwrite it the next time
> the agent runs. Puppet would need to manage dsm.sys completely[1] with
> Rick's desired changes, or those options would have to be taken out of
> dsm.sys and placed server-side.
>
> [1] I think there might be a way to have Puppet only manage a block in a
> file, but this would be pretty complicated and prone to error.
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:04:43PM +0000, Harris, Steven wrote:
>> Rick
>>
>> The m4 macro processor is a standard unix offering and can do anything from simple includes and variable substitutions to lisp-like processing that will boggle your mind. An m4 macro with some include files and a makefile with a cron job to build your dsm.sys might do the job.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Skylar Thompson
>> Sent: Thursday, 28 February 2019 6:10 AM
>> To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
>> Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] dsm.sys question
>>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> I'm not aware of a mechanism that allows one to do that with dsmc/dsm.sys, but Puppet does have the ability to include arbitrary lines in a file, either via a template or directly in a rule definition.
>>
>> Another option would be to use server-side client option sets:
>>
>> https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSGSG7_7.1.1/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_mgclinod_mkclioptsets.html
>>
>> These options mirror what can be set in dsm.sys, and can either be overridden by the client, or enforced by the server.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 06:58:30PM +0000, Rhodes, Richard L. wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Our Unix team in implementing a management application named Puppet.
>>> They are running into a problem using Puppet to setup/maintain the TSM
>>> client dsm.sys files. They create/maintain the dsm.sys as per a
>>> template of some kind. If you change a dsm.sys with a unique option,
>>> it gets overwritten by the standard template when Puppet
>>> refreshes/checks the file. The inclexcl option pulls include/excludes
>>> from a separate local file so this works fine for local specific needs.
>>> But some systems need other settings or whole servername stanzas that
>>> are unique. I've looked through the BA client manual and see no way
>>> to include arbitrary lines from some other file into dsm.sys.
>>>
>>> Q) Is there a way to source options from another file into the dsm.sys, kind of like the inclexcl option does?
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Rick
>

--
Hello World. David Bronder - Systems Architect
Segmentation Fault ITS-EI, Univ. of Iowa
Core dumped, disk trashed, quota filled, soda warm. david-bronder@uiowa.edu
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login