Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

General Question Incremental Backups and Deleted Files

Posted by Rocks4Fun 
September 08, 2014 11:21AM
Hello... I'm sure this is a ridiculous question for most or all of you, but I'm having trouble understanding the thought process behind a particular behavior with incremental backups...

1) I take a full backup
2) Backup agent auto-scans for changes
3) I add a file or two, and on the next scan those files are added to my backup.

This is all great. But then...

4) I delete the new files and on the next scan those files are also deleted from my backup.

My question is, if the point of having a backup is to be able to recover, (among other things), files that may have accidentally been deleted, then why are deleted files removed from the backup after an incremental scan?

Thanks for any responses...
September 08, 2014 12:51PM
Disregard... I'll leave you all alone now.
April 12, 2015 09:59PM
we need to choose a backup software solution but we don't have any idea what to choose, we will need oracle integration and integration with an ibm library[url=http://www.esixsigma.co]/www.esixsigma.co[/url]
July 09, 2015 02:05AM
hey,
for this problem, I think you'd better to know what the incremental backup is.
Incremental backup refers to back up the changed and new added data based on the first full backup or the last backup. Incremental backup will not back up the identical data based on the last backup. Incremental backup is on the basis of the last backup, so that there will be a mutual dependent relationship between them two. That is to say, each backup will create an image file, and all the image files are related together. The last image file of incremental backup is based on the previous image file. The deletion of a previous image file will make all the subsequent image files invalid. that is why you delete one file, the other deleted too. You can learn more about incremental backup from this article. http://www.backup-utility.com/features/incremental-differential-backup.html It is ver useful.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login