Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Difference between Archive Software and Backup Software?

Posted by leeand00 
December 08, 2016 09:47AM
What is the difference between Archive Software and Backup Software?

I saw it mentioned in an article [url=http://www.backupcentral.com/mr-backup-blog-mainmenu-47/13-mr-backup-blog/412-get-rid-of-tape-inconceivable.html]here[/url].

Also, is Bacula [b]not[/b] considered archive software, correct?
December 08, 2016 09:48AM
This is the text that I am referring to:

"Think I'm exaggerating? Just ask Morgan Stanley, who up until the mid 00's used their backups as archives. The SEC asked them for a bunch of emails, and their inability to retrieve those emails resulted in a $15M fine. They also had a little over 1400 backup tapes that they needed months of time to be able to pull emails off of to satisfy an electronic discovery request from a major lawsuit from Coleman Holdings in 2005. (They needed this time because they stored the data via backup software, not archive software.) The judge said "archive searches are quick and inexpensive. They do not cost 'hundred of thousands of dollars' or 'take several months.'" (He obviously had never tried to retrieve emails off of backup tapes.) He issued an adverse inference instruction to the jury that said that this was a ploy by Morgan Stanley to hide emails, and that they should take that into consideration in the verdict. They did, and Morgan Stanley lost the case and Coleman Holdings was given a $1.57B judgment."
December 08, 2016 11:15AM
Correct, Bacula is not archive software. It is backup software.

I'm not sure what question you're asking, though. Is it just the title of your post?

Short version: backups are used for short term backup and restore of a file, folder, application, or server. Archives are used for long term storage and retrieval of related data sets.

A backup system can restore Exchange to the way it looked yesterday. It cannot give you all the emails that Fred sent for the last five five years, or at least not with a significant amount of effort.

An archive system can give you all the emails that Fred sent for the last five years, but cannot restore your Exchange server, at least not without a significant amount of effort.

Does that help?
Re: Difference between Archive Software and Backup Software?
January 08, 2017 09:09AM
You need to understand the basic difference between archiving and backup. Here's the definitions that I've used over the years to explain the difference:
[list]
[*] Backup
Is the process of [b]copying[/b] data from primary storage/location to a secondary location for protection against hardware failure, data corruption and data deletion. This data can be kept for just a few days or it can be retained for years or decades or forever. It is typically image level of the source system (a point in time "look") that can have the ability to restore individual files or objects.
[*] Archive
Archiving is the process of [b]moving[/b] data from primary storage to a secondary location. Once moved, most archiving solutions will provide indexing/searching capabilities in conjunction with long term storage of this moved data. Archiving typically acts at an object level within the data source (e-mail messages, files, SharePoint objects, etc.) and is based upon retention policies (production data older than 6 months moved to archive storage).
[/list]

Continuing on cpjlboss's example using Exchange, a backup solution will make a copy of the users entire mailbox at a point in time. You can restore his mailbox from 5 years ago but that doesn't include the intervening years until the present. An archiving solution would be moving his old e-mail messages out of his production mailbox into an alternate, indexed, searchable storage location that would be accumulating his e-mails for the past 5 years. From there, you can now search on the e-mails for specific conversation threads or other data.

This is a general description. If you have specific requirements you need to satisfy, please post them.
January 11, 2017 03:25PM
i think your definitions are close to spot on. I do have a few comments. I'll make them by editing your definitions. My two primary concerns with your definition is that it suggests that it's normal to store backups for many years. It may be common, but it should be strongly advised against. On the archive side, MOVING data is not a requirement. It's only a feature -- albeit a very common one.

[*] Backup
Is the process of copying data from primary storage/location to a secondary location for protection against hardware failure, data corruption and data deletion. It is typically image level of the source system (a point in time "look") that can have the ability to restore individual files or objects. It should be rare to see backups stored for any longer than a few months, and even rarer to see them stored for longer than a year. If one needs the ability to retrieve data that is multiple years old, one should be using archive. The primary reason for this is to restore information from a backup, you must know the name of the system upon which a file was stored, the directory in which it was stored, the date that it was present in that directory, and the name of the file. The reason that keeping backups for many years is ill advised is that the information you will need to do the restore is simply not available. You will not know the name of the server something was on, the directory it was in, or the name of a file. You only know that you're looking for emails with the phrase "elephant" in them -- and you will not be able to do that with a backup system. That is what an archive system is for.

[*] Archive
Archiving is the process of copying data from primary storage to a secondary location. Once copied, many archiving solutions will remove the data from primary storage, but this is not a requirement to be called an archive. To function as an archive, one must be able to retrieve data from said archive via a variety of contexts via associated metadata. For example, retrieve all files/emails/objects that were created within a range of dates, created by a particular person or sent to a particular person, or that are associated with a particular project or other attribute. While one of the pieces of metadata may be the system from whence the data came, one should not need to know this data to retrieve the object. Archiving typically acts at an object level within the data source (e-mail messages, files, SharePoint objects, etc.) and is based upon retention policies (production data older than 6 months stored in archive storage and deleted after five years).
January 26, 2017 02:37AM
Lots of good and correct answers here.

I would just like to add a really simplified version that so far has helped me and others to easily get across what the difference is.

Think of [b]Backup[/b] the [b]spare tire in your trunk[/b].

Think of [b]Archive[/b] as the [b]winter tires in your garage[/b].

Both of them are needed.
The first is for emergencies, the latter for a specific condition/request.

ThereĀ“s a slideshware to illustrate: [url=http://www.slideshare.net/MarcBatschkus/what-is-backup-archive-cloning-and-why-should-you-care]Slideshare What is the difference between Backup and Archive[/url]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login