Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

Posted by mdglazerman 
June 06, 2014 08:08AM
I am in the process of decommissioning a legacy NBU 7.1 Environment and migrating all backups to a new 7.5 environment. 99% of our backups are written to Data Domain and this has been the case in the old environment also. However, we have been running some compliance backups to a Scalar tape library. These backups have to be retained for 1 year so I now have the need to move the remaining tape images from the 7.1 catalog to the 7.5 catalog.

As I work this through in my mind, I'm thinking that there is no easy way to do it without having to re-configure the library in the 7.5 environment and re-scan all the tapes into the new catalog. My hope was that there was some way from the command line to do a bpduplicate of some kind and copy them over somehow but something tells me that isn't going to be doable.

Does anyone have any tips on the easiest way to get this completed ?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
June 06, 2014 08:19AM
"...I now have the need to move the remaining tape images from the 7.1 catalog to the 7.5 catalog."

If you can partition the Scalar (sorry- not familiar with that hardware) you could look into doing an AIR- which would mean copying the images too. Almost as annoying as re-scanning the tapes, but maybe a little less labor-intensive depending on your setup.

Otherwise you are into Symantec Professional Services territory. Outside of AIR there is no supported way for customers to merge two catalogs. I've recently looked into this as well, and its just not supported.

Not to say someone out there couldn't give you a home-baked method- but don't ask Symantec to help you out if things go sideways there. You have to pay Symantec to do the merge.

Tom Burrell
June 06, 2014 08:17AM
[quote] I am in the process of decommissioning a legacy NBU 7.1 Environment and migrating all backups to a new 7.5 environment. 99% of our backups are written to Data Domain and this has been the case in the old environment also. However, we have been running some compliance backups to a Scalar tape library. These backups have to be retained for 1 year so I now have the need to move the remaining tape images from the 7.1 catalog to the 7.5 catalog.

As I work this through in my mind, I'm thinking that there is no easy way to do it without having to re-configure the library in the 7.5 environment and re-scan all the tapes into the new catalog. My hope was that there was some way from the command line to do a bpduplicate of some kind and copy them over somehow but something tells me that isn't going to be doable.

[/quote] If it were me, I'd just leave the old server running for another year. Or even take a full backup of it on your new system, or other image, and shut down the hardware to save power. I am doing exactly that with a similar situation.

Good luck
danno
--
Dan Pritts
ICPSR Computing & Network Services
University of Michigan
+1 (734)615-7362
June 06, 2014 08:22AM
We have the scalar i6000 and it IS partitionable. Not sure which one the OP has.

Curious - What is "AIR" and how does it avoid the 2 stage import from one master to another?

-----Original Message-----
From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] On Behalf Of tburrell
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 11:20 AM
To: VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

"...I now have the need to move the remaining tape images from the 7.1 catalog to the 7.5 catalog."

If you can partition the Scalar (sorry- not familiar with that hardware) you could look into doing an AIR- which would mean copying the images too. Almost as annoying as re-scanning the tapes, but maybe a little less labor-intensive depending on your setup.

Otherwise you are into Symantec Professional Services territory. Outside of AIR there is no supported way for customers to merge two catalogs. I've recently looked into this as well, and its just not supported.

Not to say someone out there couldn't give you a home-baked method- but don't ask Symantec to help you out if things go sideways there. You have to pay Symantec to do the merge.

Tom Burrell

+----------------------------------------------------------------------
|This was sent by tburrell_mn < at > yahoo.com via Backup Central.
|Forward SPAM to abuse < at > backupcentral.com.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)
Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.

June 06, 2014 09:10AM
We've faced a similar issue too. You could duplicate the tape backups to a new DataDomain storage unit, and then do the import of the disk images on that storage unit (mtree.) That is a bit faster than tape imports, but it still takes time.

We have 10 year retention backups that we have to maintain from an old 6.5 environment. We will upgrade the old environment to 7.6 eventually, but we will let it die on the vine. The catalog is almost 2TB - I sure as heck don't want to import all those tape images.

The only limitation with AIR is that it will only work with new backups. The images are replicated to another NetBackup master server, but only as part of the backup process using SLP's. I am not aware of any AIR feature (today) that will allow you to import existing images. I could be wrong...

I would think that Symantec is eventually going to expand the AIR type features, so that you can move existing images to a different NetBackup master. That would only make sense. (It would also let me move those 10 year retentions so I don't have to keep that other hardware around.) But for today, you have to plan with the existing features.

Bryan

ps. You can even partition the i500's.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] On Behalf Of Lightner, Jeff
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

We have the scalar i6000 and it IS partitionable. Not sure which one the OP has.

Curious - What is "AIR" and how does it avoid the 2 stage import from one master to another?

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] On Behalf Of tburrell

Tom Burrell

Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer __________________________________________________________
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.

June 06, 2014 09:17AM
We are now using AIR with NBU 7.6.0.1 and DDOS 5.4.1.1. I think AIR was officially supported with NBU 7.6.x.x and DDOS 5.4.x.x.

Configuring AIR with DataDomain is not the most straightforward thing. There are a lot of things that are not explicitly documented. And it does put a crimp in your upgrade planning – replication destinations have to be upgraded prior to source. – And when you do bi-directional replication/AIR? Aye, there’s the rub.

[b]From:[/b] veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] [b]On Behalf Of [/b]Rusty Major
[b]Sent:[/b] Friday, June 06, 2014 11:10 AM
[b]To:[/b] Lightner, Jeff
[b]Cc:[/b] VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
[b]Subject:[/b] Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

AIR is Automated Image Replication.
It is part of the SLP process and utilizes the OST API to replicate the data from one Master to another and merge it in the catalog. It does it in such a way that the import is lightning quick. Once it's imported on the remote master, it's a backup image like any other.

Two issues with the suggestion - first, AIR has to be configured on the front end of the backup. Once it's backed up you can't retroactively add steps to the SLP process.

Second, the hardware has to be OST capable and also have support for AIR. I don't know if DDRs support AIR yet or not. As of about 2 years ago they didn't. Either way you would need one on the source side and one on the destination side

Dan's suggestion of just leaving it and shutting down your old environment until needed makes sense and is probably the easiest. I would recommend making backups of your catalog and keeping it handy in case it does't come back up. Otherwise, you can import anything on the old tapes and import them into your new environment if you want to go through all that trouble.

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner < at > dsservices.com ([email]JLightner < at > dsservices.com[/email])> wrote:

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu ([email]veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email]) [mailto]veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email])] On Behalf Of tburrell
To: VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU ([email]VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU[/email])

Tom Burrell

|This was sent by tburrell_mn < at > yahoo.com ([email]tburrell_mn < at > yahoo.com[/email]) via Backup Central.
|Forward SPAM to abuse < at > backupcentral.com ([email]abuse < at > backupcentral.com[/email]).

Veritas-bu maillist - Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu ([email]Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email]) [url=http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu]http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu[/url]

Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

--
[b]Rusty Major ▪ Manager - Compute Engineering, Backup and Storage ▪ Sungard Availability Services[/b]
757 N. Eldridge Pkwy, Suite 200, Houston, TX 77079 ▪ Office: 281-584-4693 ▪ Mobile: 713-724-4914 ▪ rusty.major < at > sungardas.com ([email]rusty.major < at > sungardas.com[/email]) ▪ [url=http://www.sungardas.com/]www.sungardas.com[/url]
[url=http://www.sungardas.com][/url]

[url=http://blog.sungardas.com/][/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/SunGardAS][/url] [url=https://plus.google.com/102459878242108588663/about][/url] [url=http://www.facebook.com/SunGardAS][/url] [url=http://www.linkedin.com/company/sungard-availability-services][/url] [url=http://www.twitter.com/SunGardAS][/url]

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

DTCC DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately and delete the email and any attachments from your system. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
June 06, 2014 11:00AM
Note:
The i6000 was MY environment NOT the OP's. The OP mentioned Scalar library but not specifically the i6000 nor has he mentioned whether the one he has is actually partitionable.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] On Behalf Of Vargas, Efrain
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 1:51 PM
To: Bahnmiller, Bryan E.; VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

Is the 7.5 environment a new server?
If it is then you could do a catalog recovery in the new 7.5, if not then the easiest would be to:
1) Assigned/move all the long term media/images to the 7.1 master server
2) Decommission any media server in the 7.1 system if there are any
3) Create a new small partition on the I6000 with one drive assigned to it
4) Attached the 7.1 master to the new partition, configure NBU, make sure you can view and read the old media
5) Keep the 7.1 system online until all images expire then get rid of it

Efrain Vargas, ITIL V3, SCS
Sys Cslt-Sys Anly & Prog, Platform Engineering | Storage and Data Protection

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 1:42 PM
To: 'Bahnmiller, Bryan E.'; VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] Need to move tape images from 7.1 master to 7.5 master

Is the 7.5 environment a new server?
If it is then you could do a catalog recovery in the new 7.5, if not then the easiest would be to:
1) Assigned/move all the long term media/images to the 7.1 master server
2) Decommission any media server in the 7.1 system if there are any
3) Create a new small partition on the I6000 with one drive assigned to it
4) Attached the 7.1 master to the new partition, configure NBU, make sure you can view and read the old media
5) Keep the 7.1 system online until all images expire then get rid of it

Efrain Vargas, ITIL V3, SCS
Sys Cslt-Sys Anly & Prog, Platform Engineering | Storage and Data Protection

Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 12:10 PM

We've faced a similar issue too. You could duplicate the tape backups to a new DataDomain storage unit, and then do the import of the disk images on that storage unit (mtree.) That is a bit faster than tape imports, but it still takes time.

We have 10 year retention backups that we have to maintain from an old 6.5 environment. We will upgrade the old environment to 7.6 eventually, but we will let it die on the vine. The catalog is almost 2TB - I sure as heck don't want to import all those tape images.

The only limitation with AIR is that it will only work with new backups. The images are replicated to another NetBackup master server, but only as part of the backup process using SLP's. I am not aware of any AIR feature (today) that will allow you to import existing images. I could be wrong...

I would think that Symantec is eventually going to expand the AIR type features, so that you can move existing images to a different NetBackup master. That would only make sense. (It would also let me move those 10 year retentions so I don't have to keep that other hardware around.) But for today, you have to plan with the existing features.

Bryan

ps. You can even partition the i500's.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto] On Behalf Of Lightner, Jeff
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2014 10:22 AM

Tom Burrell

Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer __________________________________________________________

Veritas-bu maillist - Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu
June 13, 2014 11:41AM
Thanks for your input folks and apologies for the lack of feedback from me. We are going to have to do a full import of the tape images once the library is zoned into the newly created NetBackup servers. Part of the reason for the migration is that the old NBU servers are end of life and need to be decommed. Keeping them around until the tape images expire is not an option unfortunately.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login