Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Media Servers needed

Posted by sonsofjorge 
Media Servers needed
December 09, 2014 01:29AM
Quick ball park numbers only.

Can anyone have estimates on how many media servers do I need to support a 360TB data. I am looking at using high end Data Domain as deduplication device and Oracle SL8500 for tape out.
Media Servers needed
December 16, 2014 10:43PM
Fast ballpark figure could be (amount/backup window ) /(0.7 *netcard throughput)

Be aware this a very rough number, which needs to verified by using the server sizing/backup planning guides

Regards
Michael

[quote]Den 09/12/2014 kl. 10.29 skrev sonsofjorge <nbu-forum < at > backupcentral.com>:

Can anyone have estimates on how many media servers do I need to support a 360TB data. I am looking at using high end Data Domain as deduplication device and Oracle SL8500 for tape out.

+----------------------------------------------------------------------
|This was sent by nathan_amores < at > yahoo.com via Backup Central.
|Forward SPAM to abuse < at > backupcentral.com.
+----------------------------------------------------------------------

Veritas-bu maillist - Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu
Media Servers needed
December 17, 2014 10:26AM
This is almost the exact scenario I have. However, I need to ask these questions:

How is the data moving? I use Fiber Channel to connect from the server to the Data Domain and DD to SL8500. How the data moves will impact how many media servers you need.

How fast do you need the data moved? If you have the luxury of time you can use less media servers. I am running DD990 and I am getting 3200MB/Sec in and out to tape (roughly 16X100MB in and out) since I duplicate to tape using SLP while I am running backups.

How is the data stored/accessed? Mine is mostly in Oracle Databases. Each of my Oracle DB ( mine are 9 - 40TB each ) has its own media server to send the data to the Data Domains. So I have a master and 5 media servers. BUT - these are clusters of Solaris so most of my DB have 2 or 3 servers they could be on, so those 5 media servers are actually 10 media servers with 5 active at any one time, AND I have TEST/QA and DR media servers, so I end up with 24 media servers - can you say site license?

Since I use Fiber Channel we started with two DD990 so that we would have enough FC HBA to generate the throughput to drive the LTO5 tape drives. We ended up getting another DD7200 recently to handle growth. Please note - due to the DD deduplication, you have to have a process that labels or formats the DD tapes as they go to scratch, or it does not release the disk space. The cleaning process has a definite impact on throughput as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 01:29:55 -0800
To: VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Servers needed
Message-ID: <1418117395.m2f.400716 < at > www.backupcentral.com>

February 24, 2015 07:01AM
I backup weekly 416tb of data............
My backup window starts daily 4:30 till 4:30 am for incrementals
FULL Backups 4:30 friday till 8:00 sunday, sunday is for slp duplications, and datadomain cleanup.

My Netbackup Domain is as follows

1 Master Server 500gb Drive that houses the NBDB
7 Media Servers (2 of which are virtual machines)
2 100tb Datadomains slp duplications between these two
2 30tb Dell Dr6000 (houses exchange backups 15tb daily fulls slp duplicated backups)
2 15tb Dell DR4100 (houses 1 remote backup of 7tb, slp duplication to the other dr4100)
2 30tb DataDomains (houses secure data backups, and sql backups)

All are 10gb networked.

i backup 700+ Virtual Machines using NetBackup for VMWare, and i use san to back them up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login