Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Networker 9.x nsrlog notifications

Posted by Matthew Huff 
Matthew Huff
Networker 9.x nsrlog notifications
July 13, 2017 08:59AM
I've recently moved from 8.x to 9.1.1 and created a custom notification script that is working, but I'd like to also send the output to the regular nsr location (daemon.raw). The policy uses "nsrlog -f policy_notifications.log", but there doesn't appear to be a command line nsrlog under linux. How would I send the output to that location from a linux script?

--
This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz
If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.html
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
thomas peacock
Re: Networker 9.x nsrlog notifications
July 13, 2017 11:06AM
Matt - did you look into syslog for linux/unix with NetWorker?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com> wrote:

> I've recently moved from 8.x to 9.1.1 and created a custom notification
> script that is working, but I'd like to also send the output to the regular
> nsr location (daemon.raw). The policy uses "nsrlog -f
> policy_notifications.log", but there doesn't appear to be a command line
> nsrlog under linux. How would I send the output to that location from a
> linux script?
>
>
> --
> This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan
> Horwitz
> If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings,
> please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.
> html
> If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send
> email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
>

--
If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.html
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
thomas peacock
July 13, 2017 11:06AM

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com> wrote:

> I've recently moved from 8.x to 9.1.1 and created a custom notification
> script that is working, but I'd like to also send the output to the regular
> nsr location (daemon.raw). The policy uses "nsrlog -f
> policy_notifications.log", but there doesn't appear to be a command line
> nsrlog under linux. How would I send the output to that location from a
> linux script?
>
>
> --
> This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan
> Horwitz
> If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings,
> please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.
> html
> If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send
> email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
>

--
Matthew Huff
July 13, 2017 11:07AM
The Redhat 6 server we are running uses rsyslogd. With Networker 9, it doesn’t appear that Networker uses syslog to write to /nsr/logs/daemon.raw, rather it isues a new system nsrlogd. With my script I can write to syslog, email, etc,, but I was hoping to be able to also send the output to the standard networker logs in /nsr/logs

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:10 PM
To: EMC Data Protection Q & A <EMC-DATAPROTECTION-L@listserv.temple.edu>; Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com>
Subject: Re: [EMC-DataProtection-L] Networker 9.x nsrlog notifications

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com<mailto:mhuff@ox.com>> wrote:
I've recently moved from 8.x to 9.1.1 and created a custom notification script that is working, but I'd like to also send the output to the regular nsr location (daemon.raw). The policy uses "nsrlog -f policy_notifications.log", but there doesn't appear to be a command line nsrlog under linux. How would I send the output to that location from a linux script?

--
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu<mailto:owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu>

--
Matthew Huff
July 13, 2017 11:07AM
The Redhat 6 server we are running uses rsyslogd. With Networker 9, it doesn’t appear that Networker uses syslog to write to /nsr/logs/daemon.raw, rather it isues a new system nsrlogd. With my script I can write to syslog, email, etc,, but I was hoping to be able to also send the output to the standard networker logs in /nsr/logs

To: EMC Data Protection Q & A <EMC-DATAPROTECTION-L@listserv.temple.edu>; Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com>

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Matthew Huff <mhuff@ox.com<mailto:mhuff@ox.com>> wrote:

--
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu<mailto:owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu>

--
Tossavainen, Atro (Consultant)
July 14, 2017 12:10AM
Please say it ain't so...?

Whoever had the brilliant idea of reinventing the wheel for NetWorker's logging needs should probably be brought to justice.

--
Atro Tossavainen
System Administrator (Consultant)
Oy GTECH Finland Ab, a fully owned subsidiary of IGT plc
tel. +358-44-5000-600 (cell)

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 20:15
To: EMC-DATAPROTECTION-L@LISTSERV.TEMPLE.EDU

--

-- This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l..html If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu<mailto:owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

--
Tossavainen, Atro (Consultant)
July 14, 2017 12:10AM
Please say it ain't so...?

Whoever had the brilliant idea of reinventing the wheel for NetWorker's logging needs should probably be brought to justice.

--
Atro Tossavainen
System Administrator (Consultant)
Oy GTECH Finland Ab, a fully owned subsidiary of IGT plc
tel. +358-44-5000-600 (cell)

Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 20:15
To: EMC-DATAPROTECTION-L@LISTSERV.TEMPLE.EDU

--

-- This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l..html If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu<mailto:owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is the property of International Game Technology PLC and/or its subsidiaries and may contain proprietary, confidential or trade secret information. This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please delete this message from your system. Any unauthorized reading, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.

--
July 14, 2017 08:59AM
In regard to: Re: [EMC-DataProtection-L] Networker 9.x nsrlog...:

> Please say it ain't so...?

They seem to be reinventing the wheel for many components. 8.2.x does
away with use of the system portmapper/rpcbind, though that's not as big
a change since NetWorker has always had its own functionality there.

> Whoever had the brilliant idea of reinventing the wheel for NetWorker's
> logging needs should probably be brought to justice.

+1.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney@ndsu.edu
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure 701-231-1076 (Voice)
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building 701-231-8541 (Fax)
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login