Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Recover asking for adv_file device to be moved to different storage node ???

Posted by Francis Swasey 
Hi folks,

Anyone still running 9.2 (I'm running 9.2.1.5 specifically, though I do not know if this is unique to that)? Last week, we had a zealous system administrator accidentally partially delete a directory tree of symbolic links to home directories.

We spent a few hours attempting to have NetWorker recover these seemingly small and quickly recovered symbolic link pointers. We repeatedly got a media alert that adv_file volume UVM.FileServer.1 was required to be mounted on a storage node other than the one it is always mounted on. This specific adv_file disk is an NFS mount from a disk array (not a Data Domain) and could technically be moved(1). However, it was actively being written to and could not be moved at the time.

I have a vague remembrance of dealing with this issue back in the days of NetWorker 7.6. I have been trying to work with EMC Support on this, but so far due to whatever problems their support structure is currently experiencing and my own chaos ridden personal life - we have not actually managed in the past 6.5 days to get beyond the "who is working on this" stage. However, before I sink even more of my scarcest commodity (time) into this, I thought I'd ask some questions of other administrators:

Has anyone else experienced this issue with NetWorker in the 9.x series?
Did you figure out what was causing the problem?
Were you able to change something in your configuration that made it stop?

Thanks,
- Frank

(1): "could technically be moved" is a euphemism for: create a mount point on the storage node, define the mount point as a device to NetWorker, add the device to the selection list for the media pool, unmount the filesystem from the storage node it was mounted on, and mount the filesystem on the storage node NetWorker wanted it on.

ps: we eventually rebuilt the tree of symbolic links from a report that was generated a few hours before the accidental deletion happened, so we got out of the situation without having to open a SEV1 with EMC Support.

--
This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz
If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.html
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
On onsdag 16 januari 2019 kl. 13:51:28 EET you wrote:

> Were you able to change something in your configuration that made it stop?

Recover storage node?

Best
Dag

--
This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz
If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.html
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login