Deprecated: __autoload() is deprecated, use spl_autoload_register() instead in /home/pbuc/public_html/forum/mods/ext_phorummail/ezc/Base/src/ezc_bootstrap.php on line 36

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; KeyCAPTCHA_CLASS has a deprecated constructor in /home/pbuc/public_html/forum/mods/keycaptcha/keycaptcha.php on line 108
Probe problems after upgrade to 19.1.1.
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Posted by yaron 
August 24, 2019 03:59PM

This message was imported via the External PhorumMail Module
Joe Brancaleone
Re: Probe problems after upgrade to 19.1.1.
September 12, 2019 09:59PM
> A couple of days ago I upgraded from 8.2.4 to 19.1.1. At 8.2.4 we had a few groups with probes. This was working well for years. After the upgrade things stopped working. One of the client in the group is a Netapp filer which we is backed up using NDMP (nsrndmp_save). The second client in the group is a Solaris server which had its probe resource configured. After the upgrade it seems that Networker was trying to run the probe on the Netapp as well, although the client doesn't really have the resource. Later, I configured some probe for the client which then failed because Networker was trying to access nsrexec on the Netapp so it can run the fake probe. Trying to unset "Start backup only after all probes succeed" under probe config didn't help because it was still trying to run the probe. So, there are two problems I see here:

> 1. A probe action tries to run the probe even if there is no probe defined for the client.

> 2. The probe action tries to run the probe for NDMP clients as well, although this doesn't make much sense (no nsrexec).

> Any ideas on how to solve this?

I don't have any ideas yet but want to mention I just ran into a very similar issue this week. I upgraded our 8.2.4.x server to 19.1.0.2, and the probe group that ran for years did not ever detect a successful exit code from the Solaris client script during the nightly interval window, like it has every night previous. We updated the Solaris client to 19.1.0.2 but the next night it did not seem to have effect.

Like you I also noted in the probe group's error logs that another client in the group that doesn't have a probe defined (its supposed to run Oracle RMAN backups once the Solaris client probe triggers the backup) shows probe errors of not returning a code for needing a backup.

I have an SR open with Dell/EMC support. The really strange thing is today I had the Solaris admin change the client script to immediately return an exit 0 code, and with only that Solaris client enabled in the probe group, a manual test backup worked.

--
This list is hosted as a public service at Temple University by Stan Horwitz
If you wish to sign off this list or adjust your subscription settings, please do so via http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/emc-dataprotection-l.html
If you have any questions regarding management of this list, please send email to owner-emc-dataprotection-l@listserv.temple.edu
September 21, 2019 05:59PM

September 23, 2019 12:35PM
I am not sure what exactly you are doing. After all the years with NW I never had to define a specific probe process.

I also wonder whether the probe will not respond at all of whether it will just take too long to build the worklist.
Such may happen for INCR on very large filesystems. We have some clients where the probe runs for about 3 hours.

For the solaris client - make sure that the OS and the NW versions are compatible. Do not just upgrade.

For the NDMP client - make sure that you really run the nsrndmp_save command and not save.
I do not remember exactly but it could be that NW will get confused by the action commands if the option 'client can override' has been set (which is the default). So if you use the new (NW 9.0+ policy/workflow/action) definitions, mke sure that only one method will be used.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login