SearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Dataprotector error: symbolic links exceeds MAXSYMLINKS
Post Dataprotector error: symbolic links exceeds MAXSYMLINKS 
Hello, I am hoping someone may have some experience with this. I get repeated errors coming from what appears to either be an hp/ux system tunable or a DataProtector configuration variable.
However I can't find MAXSYMLINKS anywhere to check its value. Has anyone ran across this before? Thank you!
Jennifer
[Minor] From: VBDA@nti49.andipc.basf-corp.com "nti49.andipc.basf-corp.com [/webhome]" Time: 4/15/2008 3:13:34 AM
[81:84] /webhome/nosync/southfield/LabPro/LabPro
Cannot read ACLs: ([90] Number of symbolic links encountered during path name traversal exceeds MAXSYMLINKS).

Typically this occurs because of an infinite loop of symbolic links - such as, symlinks to symlinks (self linked), or symlinks to . (current directory). The error in this case is actually helpful, because otherwise the backup (or any other command) would hang indefinitely, trying to keep going down the linked path. If you run a command such as

find . -type l -print >/dev/null

in the directory in question, and get the same error message(s), that would confirm it.

Post Dataprotector error: symlinks 
Thank you Esherrill! That's what it looks like - a link back to the previous dir - kind of an endless loop. I'm going to exclude it from my backups so I don't get the errors. thanks for you help!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1