SearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Upgrade server and Simpana
Post Upgrade server and Simpana 
I am currently running Simpana 8 on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running Windows 2003. I would like to upgrade the server to 2008r2 and Simpana 9. Any advice on the best/easiest way to make this transition?

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]dbaird < at > osd.wednet.edu?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (1) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

Commvault Documentation here:
http://documentation.commvault.com/
Text-Only ([email]commvault-traditional < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional[/email]), Daily Digest ([email]commvault-digest < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest[/email]) &bull; Unsubscribe ([email]commvault-unsubscribe < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Send us Feedback ([email]ygroupsnotifications < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the redesigned individual mail v1[/email])

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6365/stime=1357340410/nc1=4025321/nc2=5522129/nc3=4507179[/img]
__,_._,___

We actually just did something similar last quarter. We had the benefit of our initial system being a VM, so we could make copies of it and test the upgrade procedure in a segregated ESX host ahead of time, but you should be able to do it this way (just one option):

<![if !supportLists]>1) <![endif]>Build the new system with a distinct IP and name
<![if !supportLists]>2) <![endif]>Pick a time when no jobs are running or you can cancel everything
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>For some reason our suspended jobs were just _gone_ after the upgrade was completed, so I just want you to be aware that this may happen to you
<![if !supportLists]>3) <![endif]>Take a DR backup and keep it handy
<![if !supportLists]>4) <![endif]>Shut down your commserve
<![if !supportLists]>5) <![endif]>Rename and re-IP your new commserve to match the name and IP used by the old commserve
<![if !supportLists]>6) <![endif]>Install CV
<![if !supportLists]>7) <![endif]>Install DBUpgrade utility from Resource Pack disc
<![if !supportLists]>Cool <![endif]>Install latest service pack
<![if !supportLists]>9) <![endif]>Using CommserveDisasterRecoveryGUI (in the ‘Base’ folder) perform a DB restore from the DR backup you ran earlier
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>You may need additional details about which options to select. I can probably dig those out, or CV support can help
<![if !supportLists]>10) <![endif]>Using DBUpgradeUI utility (also now in the ‘Base’ folder) upgrade the database
<![if !supportLists]>a. <![endif]>You may need additional details about which options to select. I can probably dig those out, or CV support can help
<![if !supportLists]>11) <![endif]>Apply the service pack again (this is absolutely necessary, but don’t ask me why)
<![if !supportLists]>12) <![endif]>Start up the CV services

If you can P2V your Commserve to practice, or take an existing DR backup of the CommServe database and use that to practice this in a segregated environment where you can use your production IPs, I highly recommend it. It was very handy to make all the mistakes ahead of time, so that we knew we could do it in one shot the day of the conversion.

-Mark

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 3:32 PM
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com
Subject: [commvault] Upgrade server and Simpana

I am currently running Simpana 8 on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running Windows 2003. I would like to upgrade the server to 2008r2 and Simpana 9. Any advice on the best/easiest way to make this transition?

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]MOverholser < at > medline.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

Text-Only ([email]commvault-traditional < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional[/email]), Daily Digest ([email]commvault-digest < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest[/email]) &bull; Unsubscribe ([email]commvault-unsubscribe < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Send us Feedback ([email]ygroupsnotifications < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Feedback on the redesigned individual mail v1[/email])

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6367/stime=1357341986/nc1=4507179/nc2=4025291/nc3=5898818[/img]
__,_._,___

Or to build on the last point, see if you can put your commserve on a VM. Then you can do multiple snapshots throughout the process and can back things out if needed

"Overholser, Mark" <moverholser < at > medline.com> 1/4/2013 3:26 PM >>>

We actually just did something similar last quarter. We had the benefit of our initial system being a VM, so we could make copies of it and test the upgrade procedure in a segregated ESX host ahead of time, but you should be able to do it this way (just one option):

1) Build the new system with a distinct IP and name
2) Pick a time when no jobs are running or you can cancel everything
a. For some reason our suspended jobs were just _gone_ after the upgrade was completed, so I just want you to be aware that this may happen to you
3) Take a DR backup and keep it handy
4) Shut down your commserve
5) Rename and re-IP your new commserve to match the name and IP used by the old commserve
6) Install CV
7) Install DBUpgrade utility from Resource Pack disc
Cool Install latest service pack
9) Using CommserveDisasterRecoveryGUI (in the 'Base' folder) perform a DB restore from the DR backup you ran earlier
a. You may need additional details about which options to select. I can probably dig those out, or CV support can help
10) Using DBUpgradeUI utility (also now in the 'Base' folder) upgrade the database
a. You may need additional details about which options to select. I can probably dig those out, or CV support can help
11) Apply the service pack again (this is absolutely necessary, but don't ask me why)
12) Start up the CV services

If you can P2V your Commserve to practice, or take an existing DR backup of the CommServe database and use that to practice this in a segregated environment where you can use your production IPs, I highly recommend it. It was very handy to make all the mistakes ahead of time, so that we knew we could do it in one shot the day of the conversion.

-Mark

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David

The information in this electronic mail communication (e-mail) contains confidential information which is the property of the sender and may be protected by the attorney-client privilege and/or attorney work product doctrine. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized by the sender. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission or the taking or omission of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant thereto, is prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately of your receipt of this message by e-mail and destroy this communication, any attachments, and all copies thereof.
Southwest Gas Corporation does not guarantee the privacy or security of information transmitted by facsimile (fax) or other unsecure electronic means (including email). By choosing to send or receive information, including confidential or personal identifying information, via fax or unencrypted e-mail, you consent to accept any associated risk.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Is this Window 2003 Server just a COmmvault Server and not being use as a Media agent?

Sent: Saturday, 5 January 2013 8:02 AM

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]noel.echo < at > yahoo.com.au?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (4) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6369/stime=1357342393/nc1=4025304/nc2=4507179/nc3=5758222[/img]
__,_._,___

Make sure you have a good DR backup of your CV8 environment somewhere that you can retrieve it, then wipe the server and reload with Win2008R2, then CV9. There are probably more details to it than just that, but in a nutshell, I believe that's about what we did with ours from 7 to 8. I don't think the upgrade from 8 to 9 was as difficult, at least for us (our CS/MA died which triggered our migration to new hardware/OS/CV a real DR situation).

Make sure you review the upgrade considerations doc first : http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/common_upgrade/imp_considerations.htm , and the DR stuff: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/er_tool/er_tool_how_to.htm

-ben

From: David <dbaird < at > osd.wednet.edu ([email]dbaird < at > osd.wednet.edu[/email])>
Reply-To: "commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])" <commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])>
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 2:32 PM
To: "commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])" <commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])>

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]bknorr < at > westminstercollege.edu?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (5) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6370/stime=1357490508/nc1=5758221/nc2=4507179/nc3=4025321[/img]
__,_._,___

Thanks for the links and advice.

--- In commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]), Ben Knorr wrote:

Make sure you have a good DR backup of your CV8 environment somewhere that you can retrieve it, then wipe the server and reload with Win2008R2, then CV9. There are probably more details to it than just that, but in a nutshell, I believe that's about what we did with ours from 7 to 8. I don't think the upgrade from 8 to 9 was as difficult, at least for us (our CS/MA died which triggered our migration to new hardware/OS/CV a real DR situation).

Make sure you review the upgrade considerations doc first : http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/deployment/common_upgrade/imp_considerations.htm , and the DR stuff: http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/er_tool/er_tool_how_to.htm

-ben

Reply-To: "commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) " >
Date: Friday, January 4, 2013 2:32 PM
To: "commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) " >

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]dbaird < at > osd.wednet.edu?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6392/stime=1358179019/nc1=4507179/nc2=4025321/nc3=5898812[/img]
__,_._,___

Thanks Bill. I think practicing on a VM is a great idea! I appreciate the help.

-Dave

--- In commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]), "Bill Willis" wrote:

Or to build on the last point, see if you can put your commserve on a
VM. Then you can do multiple snapshots throughout the process and can
back things out if needed

"Overholser, Mark" 1/4/2013 3:26 PM >>>

We actually just did something similar last quarter. We had the benefit
of our initial system being a VM, so we could make copies of it and test
the upgrade procedure in a segregated ESX host ahead of time, but you
should be able to do it this way (just one option):

2) Pick a time when no jobs are running or you can cancel
everything
a. For some reason our suspended jobs were just _gone_ after the
upgrade was completed, so I just want you to be aware that this may
happen to you
5) Rename and re-IP your new commserve to match the name and IP
used by the old commserve
6) Install CV
9) Using CommserveDisasterRecoveryGUI (in the *Base* folder)
perform a DB restore from the DR backup you ran earlier
a. You may need additional details about which options to select.
I can probably dig those out, or CV support can help
10) Using DBUpgradeUI utility (also now in the *Base* folder) upgrade
the database
11) Apply the service pack again (this is absolutely necessary, but
don*t ask me why)

If you can P2V your Commserve to practice, or take an existing DR
backup of the CommServe database and use that to practice this in a
segregated environment where you can use your production IPs, I highly
recommend it. It was very handy to make all the mistakes ahead of time,
so that we knew we could do it in one shot the day of the conversion.

-Mark

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On
Behalf Of David
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])

I am currently running Simpana 8 on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running
Windows 2003. I would like to upgrade the server to 2008r2 and Simpana
9. Any advice on the best/easiest way to make this transition?

The information in this electronic mail communication (e-mail) contains
confidential information which is the property of the sender and may be
protected by the attorney-client privilege and/or attorney work product
doctrine. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorized by the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission or
the taking or omission of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant
thereto, is prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you received this e-mail
in error, please notify us immediately of your receipt of this message
by e-mail and destroy this communication, any attachments, and all
copies thereof.
Southwest Gas Corporation does not guarantee the privacy or security of
information transmitted by facsimile (fax) or other unsecure electronic
means (including email). By choosing to send or receive information,
including confidential or personal identifying information, via fax or
unencrypted e-mail, you consent to accept any associated risk.

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]dbaird < at > osd.wednet.edu?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (7) Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6393/stime=1358179028/nc1=4507179/nc2=5898810/nc3=4025304[/img]
__,_._,___

“Practicing” is a great point that should be emphasized. For those out there that have only installed CV one time and never had a planned or unplanned CV failure/outage/upgrade, I recommend trying it as part of your DR strategy. You never know when your equipment might die from fire, flood, corruption…etc. CV in itself is obviously very important to know how to recover/rebuild, otherwise the data you are protecting will not be recoverable.

Just a thought for y’all to think about. We had a fire sprinkler malfunction last night two rooms away from my server room, and DR is on my brain today!

-ben

Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 8:05 AM
Subject: [commvault] Re: Upgrade server and Simpana

Thanks Bill. I think practicing on a VM is a great idea! I appreciate the help.

-Dave

--- In commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]), "Bill Willis" wrote:

Or to build on the last point, see if you can put your commserve on a
VM. Then you can do multiple snapshots throughout the process and can
back things out if needed

"Overholser, Mark" 1/4/2013 3:26 PM >>>

We actually just did something similar last quarter. We had the benefit
of our initial system being a VM, so we could make copies of it and test
the upgrade procedure in a segregated ESX host ahead of time, but you
should be able to do it this way (just one option):

2) Pick a time when no jobs are running or you can cancel
everything
a. For some reason our suspended jobs were just _gone_ after the
upgrade was completed, so I just want you to be aware that this may
happen to you
5) Rename and re-IP your new commserve to match the name and IP
used by the old commserve
6) Install CV
9) Using CommserveDisasterRecoveryGUI (in the *Base* folder)
perform a DB restore from the DR backup you ran earlier
10) Using DBUpgradeUI utility (also now in the *Base* folder) upgrade
the database
11) Apply the service pack again (this is absolutely necessary, but
don*t ask me why)

If you can P2V your Commserve to practice, or take an existing DR
backup of the CommServe database and use that to practice this in a
segregated environment where you can use your production IPs, I highly
recommend it. It was very handy to make all the mistakes ahead of time,
so that we knew we could do it in one shot the day of the conversion.

-Mark

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On
Behalf Of David
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])

I am currently running Simpana 8 on a Dell PowerEdge 2950 running
Windows 2003. I would like to upgrade the server to 2008r2 and Simpana
9. Any advice on the best/easiest way to make this transition?

The information in this electronic mail communication (e-mail) contains
confidential information which is the property of the sender and may be
protected by the attorney-client privilege and/or attorney work product
doctrine. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail
by anyone else is unauthorized by the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail transmission or
the taking or omission of any action in reliance thereon or pursuant
thereto, is prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you received this e-mail
in error, please notify us immediately of your receipt of this message
by e-mail and destroy this communication, any attachments, and all
copies thereof.
Southwest Gas Corporation does not guarantee the privacy or security of
information transmitted by facsimile (fax) or other unsecure electronic
means (including email). By choosing to send or receive information,
including confidential or personal identifying information, via fax or
unencrypted e-mail, you consent to accept any associated risk.

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]bknorr < at > westminstercollege.edu?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20Re%3A%20Upgrade%20server%20and%20Simpana[/email]) Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (Cool Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=6395/stime=1358380581/nc1=5522124/nc2=4507179/nc3=4025304[/img]
__,_._,___

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1