SearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
VSA Hot-Add - Speeds?
Post VSA Hot-Add - Speeds? 
Can I get some indication of the speeds/throughputs you're seeing using a hot-add VSA VM please?

I'm deliberating between hot-add VSA going to a physical MA, or installing the VSA on the physical MA and sticking with NBD.

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

Watling Street, Nuneaton, Warwickshire, CV10 0TU, England
Registered in England and Wales No. 402570
VAT Registration GB 100 1464 84

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax. You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk?subject=Re%3A%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (1)
Recent Activity: Visit Your Group

Commvault Documentation here:
http://documentation.commvault.com/
Text-Only ([email]commvault-traditional < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional[/email]), Daily Digest ([email]commvault-digest < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest[/email]) &bull; Unsubscribe ([email]commvault-unsubscribe < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5574/stime=1330003438/nc1=5758219/nc2=4507179/nc3=4025373[/img]
__,_._,___

Hey Paul,

Any reason why you can't go for SAN mode? †DAS for datastore?

NBD is always going to be one of the slowest transport modes available from the vStorage API (NBDSSL obviously being slower in comparison) so it's not a good comparison between choosing a Physical VSA-MA with SAN mode .vs. a Virtual VSA using HOTADD.

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Can I get some indication of the speeds/throughputs you're seeing using a hot-add VSA VM please?

I'm deliberating between hot-add VSA going to a physical MA, or installing the VSA on the physical MA and sticking with NBD.

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error, please delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax. You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]luke < at > blackduck.nu?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (2)

Text-Only ([email]commvault-traditional < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional[/email]), Daily Digest ([email]commvault-digest < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest[/email]) &bull; Unsubscribe ([email]commvault-unsubscribe < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5575/stime=1330005347/nc1=4507179/nc2=5898817/nc3=4025338[/img]
__,_._,___

SAN mode is out simply due to paranoia - rightly or wrongly I’m not sure I trust Windows or myself not to do something dumb with the disk.

My concern over VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I’m assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
Sent: 23 February 2012 13:56
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [commvault] VSA Hot-Add - Speeds?

Hey Paul,

Any reason why you can't go for SAN mode? DAS for datastore?

NBD is always going to be one of the slowest transport modes available from the vStorage API (NBDSSL obviously being slower in comparison) so it's not a good comparison between choosing a Physical VSA-MA with SAN mode .vs. a Virtual VSA using HOTADD.

Cheers,

Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (3)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5576/stime=1330005696/nc1=5191954/nc2=4507179/nc3=4836039[/img]
__,_._,___

Would happily say that such fear is misplaced once you disable automount via diskpart Smile

Here's my 2 cents below...

RE: Physical VSA+MA and Network bottleneck, it's only a major bottleneck because you're using NBD and it's essentially going to work out to be 1Gbps pipe per reader as opposed to your faster FC links. †This also combined with the fact that you're having to read it through a proxy (the ESX server where the VM currently resides) while SAN mode reads it directly from your storage array, using the ESX servers only to co-ordinate backups and for obtaining the VMX files.

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is†the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mode to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

However, if you are reducing your consolidation ratio (i.e. 2:1 or 3:1 instead of a 8:1 or 12:1) and considerably growing out the number of ESX servers you have then perhaps it may make more sense for you to go down the HOTADD route. †(particularly if you're on a CLA with unlimited licenses..)

To be honest - test away by all means. † But make sure you compare like for like - do a test between HOTADD and SAN to get a true idea of what your performance looks like, comparing HOTADD .vs. NBD or SAN .vs. NBD is not a fair comparison Smile

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--
m: +61 459 220 450

On 24 February 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

SAN mode is out simply due to paranoia - rightly or wrongly Iím not sure I trust Windows or myself not to do something dumb with the disk.

My concern over VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, Iím assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])

Hey Paul,

Cheers,

Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]luke < at > blackduck.nu?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (4)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5577/stime=1330006896/nc1=4507179/nc2=5741398/nc3=4025321[/img]
__,_._,___

We’re small, a pair of vSphere boxes and unlikely to grow in terms of host count for the foreseeable.

Right now doing NBD I get around 180gb/hr which seems pretty good.

I’ve decided to try hot-add out – it’s the only way to know.

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
Sent: 23 February 2012 14:22
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com

Would happily say that such fear is misplaced once you disable automount via diskpart Smile

RE: Physical VSA+MA and Network bottleneck, it's only a major bottleneck because you're using NBD and it's essentially going to work out to be 1Gbps pipe per reader as opposed to your faster FC links. This also combined with the fact that you're having to read it through a proxy (the ESX server where the VM currently resides) while SAN mode reads it directly from your storage array, using the ESX servers only to co-ordinate backups and for obtaining the VMX files.

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mode to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

However, if you are reducing your consolidation ratio (i.e. 2:1 or 3:1 instead of a 8:1 or 12:1) and considerably growing out the number of ESX servers you have then perhaps it may make more sense for you to go down the HOTADD route. (particularly if you're on a CLA with unlimited licenses..)

To be honest - test away by all means. But make sure you compare like for like - do a test between HOTADD and SAN to get a true idea of what your performance looks like, comparing HOTADD .vs. NBD or SAN .vs. NBD is not a fair comparison Smile

Kind Regards,

Luke Walker

--

On 24 February 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

SAN mode is out simply due to paranoia - rightly or wrongly I’m not sure I trust Windows or myself not to do something dumb with the disk.

My concern over VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I’m assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).
From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com[/email])

Hey Paul,

Cheers,

Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (5)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5578/stime=1330007116/nc1=4507179/nc2=5898812/nc3=4025304[/img]
__,_._,___

So is there any voodoo to make a VM VSA use hot-add? The VM is on the same shared storage as all the other VM's.

I left it on the default of "auto" yet it's using NBD for the VM backup?

9.0 SP5.

Sent: 23 February 2012 14:25
To: 'commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]%27commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])'
Subject: RE: [commvault] VSA Hot-Add - Speeds?

We're small, a pair of vSphere boxes and unlikely to grow in terms of host count for the foreseeable.

I've decided to try hot-add out - it's the only way to know.
From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])

RE: Physical VSA+MA and Network bottleneck, it's only a major bottleneck because you're using NBD and it's essentially going to work out to be 1Gbps pipe per reader as opposed to your faster FC links. †This also combined with the fact that you're having to read it through a proxy (the ESX server where the VM currently resides) while SAN mode reads it directly from your storage array, using the ESX servers only to co-ordinate backups and for obtaining the VMX files.

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is†the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mode to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

However, if you are reducing your consolidation ratio (i.e. 2:1 or 3:1 instead of a 8:1 or 12:1) and considerably growing out the number of ESX servers you have then perhaps it may make more sense for you to go down the HOTADD route. †(particularly if you're on a CLA with unlimited licenses..)

To be honest - test away by all means. † But make sure you compare like for like - do a test between HOTADD and SAN to get a true idea of what your performance looks like, comparing HOTADD .vs. NBD or SAN .vs. NBD is not a fair comparison Smile

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

On 24 February 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

SAN mode is out simply due to paranoia - rightly or wrongly I'm not sure I trust Windows or myself not to do something dumb with the disk.

My concern over VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I'm assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).
From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker
To: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])

Hey Paul,

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (6)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5584/stime=1330011459/nc1=5898810/nc2=4025338/nc3=4507179[/img]
__,_._,___

I've simply just set it to HOTADD specifically (its either in the backup set properties or the VMware instance properties, I forget) instead of leaving it on Auto

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 02:37, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

So is there any voodoo to make a VM VSA use hot-add? The VM is on the same shared storage as all the other VM's.

9.0 SP5.

To: 'commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]%27commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])'

We're small, a pair of vSphere boxes and unlikely to grow in terms of host count for the foreseeable.

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

On 24 February 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

SAN mode is out simply due to paranoia - rightly or wrongly I'm not sure I trust Windows or myself not to do something dumb with the disk.

My concern over VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I'm assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).

Hey Paul,

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (7)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5585/stime=1330011585/nc1=4507179/nc2=5758223/nc3=4025373[/img]
__,_._,___

I will on the next run.. I was assuming it might have tried hotadd and decided it couldn't, but there's nothing in the logs to indicate this.

Sent: 23 February 2012 15:40

I've simply just set it to HOTADD specifically (its either in the backup set properties or the VMware instance properties, I forget) instead of leaving it on Auto

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 02:37, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

9.0 SP5.

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

Hey Paul,

Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (Cool

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5586/stime=1330011699/nc1=4025338/nc2=4507179/nc3=4836038[/img]
__,_._,___

So hot add won't work. I've tried setting the proxy to be that of the VSA and still no luck. From vixdkdisklib.log:

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: config options: libdir 'C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDK', tmpDir 'C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM'.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKplugins".
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Advanced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Enabling advanced transport modes.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Transport modes available: file:nbdssl:nbd:san.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VMware VixDiskLib (5.0) Release build-427917
2904 708 02/23 17:43:37 ### POLL Using the WSAPoll API Implementation for PollDefault
2904 3e8 02/23 17:43:37 ### Mntapi_Init Asked - 1.0 Served - 1.0 was successful,TempDirectory: C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM.
2904 708 02/23 17:44:40 ### diskLibPlugin: 2012-02-23T17:44:40.856Z [01800 info 'Default'] Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 20000000

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings
Sent: 23 February 2012 15:42

I will on the next run.. I was assuming it might have tried hotadd and decided it couldn't, but there's nothing in the logs to indicate this.

Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 02:37, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

9.0 SP5.

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

Hey Paul,

Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (9)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5593/stime=1330021006/nc1=4025304/nc2=4507179/nc3=5741393[/img]
__,_._,___

Paul,

Are you using VirtualMachine on that ESX server for backing up? I mean, has VSA proxy installed on VM? looks like VixDisklib not even listing hotadd option for you.
VixDiskLib: Transport modes available: file:nbdssl:nbd:san.

-Anand

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:17 PM
To: 'commvault < at > yahoogroups.com'

So hot add won't work. I've tried setting the proxy to be that of the VSA and still no luck. From vixdkdisklib.log:

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: config options: libdir 'C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDK', tmpDir 'C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM'.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKplugins".
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Advanced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Transport modes available: file:nbdssl:nbd:san.
2904 708 02/23 17:43:37 ### POLL Using the WSAPoll API Implementation for PollDefault
2904 3e8 02/23 17:43:37 ### Mntapi_Init Asked - 1.0 Served - 1.0 was successful,TempDirectory: C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM.
2904 708 02/23 17:44:40 ### diskLibPlugin: 2012-02-23T17:44:40.856Z [01800 info 'Default'] Vmacore::InitSSL: doVersionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 20000000

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings

Cheers,
Luke

9.0 SP5.

RE: Physical VSA+MA and Network bottleneck, it's only a major bottleneck because you're using NBD and it's essentially going to work out to be 1Gbps pipe per reader as opposed to your faster FC links. This also combined with the fact that you're having to read it through a proxy (the ESX server where the VM currently resides) while SAN mode reads it directly from your storage array, using the ESX servers only to co-ordinate backups and for obtaining the VMX files.

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mode to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

However, if you are reducing your consolidation ratio (i.e. 2:1 or 3:1 instead of a 8:1 or 12:1) and considerably growing out the number of ESX servers you have then perhaps it may make more sense for you to go down the HOTADD route. (particularly if you're on a CLA with unlimited licenses..)

To be honest - test away by all means. But make sure you compare like for like - do a test between HOTADD and SAN to get a true idea of what your performance looks like, comparing HOTADD .vs. NBD or SAN .vs. NBD is not a fair comparison Smile

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

Hey Paul,

Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

***************************Legal Disclaimer***************************
"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message in error,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]avenkatesha < at > commvault.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (10)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5594/stime=1330022407/nc1=4025291/nc2=4507179/nc3=5758221[/img]
__,_._,___

Ah! The penny may have dropped. We have two hosts and vCenter and both use the same SAN.

For testing this VSA I thought I'd point the subclient at a host rather than vCenter, however the VSA is running on the other host.

I'll try it with the VM running on the same host - it never even occurred to me as I was so focussed on the fact the VSA is on the same shared storage/SAN.

Thank you!!

Paul

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Ananda Venkatesha
Sent: 23 February 2012 18:40

Paul,

Are you using VirtualMachine on that ESX server for backing up? I mean, has VSA proxy installed on VM? looks like VixDisklib not even listing hotadd option for you.

-Anand

From: commv! ault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]ault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwar! eVDDKplugins".
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Advan ced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.

To: 'commvault < at > y! ahoogroups.com'

Cheers,
Luke

So is there any voodoo to make a VM VSA ! use hot-add? The VM is on the same shared storage as all the other VM' s.

9.0 SP5.

Would happily say that such fear is misplaced once you d! isable automount via diskpart Smile

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is†the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and! have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mo de to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

My concern ov! er VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I'm assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).

Hey Paul,

&n! bsp;
Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul H utchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (11)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5595/stime=1330022600/nc1=5758222/nc2=4025338/nc3=4507179[/img]
__,_._,___

Just to make it little bit more clear,
To hotadd to work, VM(VSA proxy) can be run any host as long as it has access to the datastore on which target VMs hosted for backup. Let me know if this helps. Also let us know what vsbkp log has to say about transport modes used.

-Anand

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:43 PM

Ah! The penny may have dropped. We have two hosts and vCenter and both use the same SAN.

For testing this VSA I thought I'd point the subclient at a host rather than vCenter, however the VSA is running on the other host.

I'll try it with the VM running on the same host - it never even occurred to me as I was so focussed on the fact the VSA is on the same shared storage/SAN.

Thank you!!

Paul

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Ananda Venkatesha
Sent: 23 February 2012 18:40

Paul,

-Anand

From: commv! ault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]ault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul Hutchings

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwar! eVDDKplugins".
2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Advan ced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.

Cheers,
Luke

So is there any voodoo to make a VM VSA ! use hot-add? The VM is on the same shared storage as all the other VM' s.

9.0 SP5.

Would happily say that such fear is misplaced once you d! isable automount via diskpart Smile

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly what you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and! have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mo de to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

Kind Regards,
Luke Walker
--

My concern ov! er VSA-MA vs. VSA-VM is simply that whilst the VM can do hot-add, I'm assuming that the vCPUs may be a bottleneck vs. a 12 core MA, but with the VSA-MA the network may be the bottleneck (2x1gbps NICs on the management network into each ESXi host).

Hey Paul,

&n! bsp;
Cheers,
Luke

On 24 February 2012 00:23, Paul H utchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Reply to sender ([email]avenkatesha < at > commvault.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply to group ([email]commvault < at > yahoogroups.com?subject=RE%3A%20%5Bcommvault%5D%20VSA%20Hot-Add%20-%20Speeds%3F[/email]) | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic
Messages in this topic (12)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5597/stime=1330022849/nc1=4025321/nc2=5898816/nc3=4507179[/img]
__,_._,___

Damn no luck - this is with hotadd and vstorage manually selected and the subclient pointing at vcenter server.

No hotadd mode shown:

2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: config options: libdir 'C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDK', tmpDir 'C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM'.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKplugins".
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Advanced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Enabling advanced transport modes.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Transport modes available: file:nbdssl:nbd:san.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VMware VixDiskLib (5.0) Release build-427917
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:36 ### POLL Using the WSAPoll API Implementation for PollDefault
2120 4a0 02/23 18:50:36 ### Mntapi_Init Asked - 1.0 Served - 1.0 was successful,TempDirectory: C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM.

Sent: 23 February 2012 18:47

To hotadd to work, VM(VSA proxy) can be run any host as long as it has access to the datastore on which target VMs hosted for backup. Let me know if this helps. Also let us know what vsbkp log has to say about transport modes used.

-Anand

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul H! utchings

Thank you!!

Paul

Sent: 23 February 2012 18:40To: commvault < at > yahoogroup s.com

Paul,

-Anand

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSim! panaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2904 708 02/23 17:44:40 ### diskLibPlugin: 20! 12-02-23T17:44:40.856Z [01800 info 'Default'] Vmacore::InitSSL: doVers ionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 20000000

I've simply just set it to HOTADD specifically (its either in the backup set propert! ies or the VMware instance properties, I forget) instead of leaving it on Auto

Cheers,
Luke

9.0 SP5.

From: commvaul! t < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]t%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly wh! at you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is†the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and! have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mo de to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

Kind R! egards,
Luke Walker
--

On 24 Fe bruary 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Hey Paul,

Any reason why you can't go for ! SAN mode? †DAS for datastore?

&n! bsp;
Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the! use of the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error, p lease delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax. You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (13)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5598/stime=1330023190/nc1=4507179/nc2=4025338/nc3=5522128[/img]
__,_._,___

Paul,

Please share vsbkp logs for this job. it will have string like “using transportmode:”

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:53 PM

Damn no luck - this is with hotadd and vstorage manually selected and the subclient pointing at vcenter server.

No hotadd mode shown:

2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: config options: libdir 'C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDK', tmpDir 'C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM'.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Attempting to locate advanced transport module in "C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDKplugins".
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Advanced transport plugin was successfully loaded into vixDiskLib.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VixDiskLib: Transport modes available: file:nbdssl:nbd:san.
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:35 ### VMware VixDiskLib (5.0) Release build-427917
2120 e98 02/23 18:50:36 ### POLL Using the WSAPoll API Implementation for PollDefault
2120 4a0 02/23 18:50:36 ### Mntapi_Init Asked - 1.0 Served - 1.0 was successful,TempDirectory: C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM.

-Anand

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul H! utchings

Thank you!!

Paul

Sent: 23 February 2012 18:40To: commvault < at > yahoogroup s.com

Paul,

-Anand

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 ### VixDiskLib: Unable to load configuration options from C:Program FilesCommVaultSim! panaBaseVMwareVDDKVixDiskLib.cfg.
2904 708 02/23 17:44:40 ### diskLibPlugin: 20! 12-02-23T17:44:40.856Z [01800 info 'Default'] Vmacore::InitSSL: doVers ionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 20000000

I've simply just set it to HOTADD specifically (its either in the backup set propert! ies or the VMware instance properties, I forget) instead of leaving it on Auto

Cheers,
Luke

9.0 SP5.

From: commvaul! t < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]t%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailto:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Luke Walker

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly wh! at you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD works [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and! have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mo de to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

Kind R! egards,
Luke Walker
--

On 24 Fe bruary 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Hey Paul,

Any reason why you can't go for ! SAN mode? DAS for datastore?

&n! bsp;
Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the! use of the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail in error, p lease delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax. You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (14)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5599/stime=1330027556/nc1=5898810/nc2=4507179/nc3=4025321[/img]
__,_._,___

Hi Ananda, please see below which I think is what you're looking for:

2120 e30 02/23 18:51:41 64207 CVMWareInfo::_MountVM_VCB4() - Connecting to VM [avira] config [[vmfs-volume2] avira/avira.vmx] MoRef [vm-255] snapshot [snapshot-15730] for disk access
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:41 64207 CVMDiskInfo::Connect() - Selecting transport mode: hotadd
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:41 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Calling VixDiskLib_Connect for thread e30
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:42 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Completed VixDiskLib_Connect for thread e30
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:42 64207 CVMDiskInfo::Connect() - Connected to VM [avira] Guid [5032f8ce-937c-d28c-0215-50b6d764af40]
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:42 64207 CVMWareInfo::_VerifyChangeTrackingForDisk() - Verifying Change tracking on Disk [avira.vmdk]
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:44 64207 CVMWareInfo::_MountVM_VCB4() - Opening Disk [[vmfs-volume2] avira/avira.vmdk] as [avira.vmdk]
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:44 64207 CVMDiskInfo::OpenDisk() - Opening disk [avira.vmdk] on VM [avira] flags [ Readonly ]
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:44 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Calling VixDiskLib_Open for thread e30
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Completed VixDiskLib_Open for thread e30
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMDiskInfo::Dispatch_VixDiskLib_Open() - VixDiskLib_Open failed Err=d You do not have access rights to this file
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMWareInfo::_MountVM_VCB4() - Failed to Open Disk [[vmfs-volume2] avira/avira.vmdk]
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMWareInfo::_MountVM_VCB4() - Unable to open any disks on VM avira 1 attempted
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMWareInfo::MountVM() - MountVM_VCB4() failed!!
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMWareInfo::_UnmountVM_VCB4() - Unmounting Disks for VM [avira]
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Calling VixDiskLib_Disconnect for thread e30
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Completed VixDiskLib_Disconnect for thread e30
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:47 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Calling VixDiskLib_Cleanup for thread e30
2120 e98 02/23 18:51:48 64207 CVMDiskInfo::_VixDiskLibThread() - Completed VixDiskLib_Cleanup for thread e30
2120 e30 02/23 18:51:48 64207 CVMWareInfo::_RemoveVMSnapshot() - Removing Snapshot [snapshot-15730] of VM [avira] Guid [5032f8ce-937c-d28c-0215-50b6d764af40]
2120 5 02/23 18:51:48 64207 ### RemoveSnapshot --- Removing Snapshot __GX_BACKUP__ snapshot-15730 from VM avira
2120 5 02/23 18:51:48 64207 ### RemoveSnapshot --- Started remove Snapshot task task-42024 for VM avira Snapshot snapshot-15730
2120 5 02/23 18:51:53 64207 ### _WaitForTask --- Task [task-42024] status [success] waited for [00:00:04.7345265] task took [00:00:04.3859100] Wait [23/02/2012 18:51:48 to 23/02/2012 18:51:53] Task [23/02/2012 18:51:48 to 23/02/2012 18:51:53]
2120 5 02/23 18:51:53 64207 ### RemoveSnapshot --- Successfully removed Snapshot __GX_BACKUP__ snapshot-15730 from VM avira
2120 e3

Sent: 23 February 2012 20:06

Paul,

Please share vsbkp logs for this job. it will have string like "using transportmode:"

Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 1:53 PM

† !

No hotadd mode shown:

2120 e98 02! /23 18:50:35 ### VMware VixDiskLib (5.0) Release build-427917

-Anand

From: commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email]) [mailt! o:commvault < at > yahoogroups.com ([email]commvault%40yahoogroups.com[/email])] On Behalf Of Paul H! utchings

Thank you!!

Paul

Sent: 23 February 2012 18:40To: commvault < at > yaho! ogroup s.com

Paul,

-Anand

2904 708 02/23 17:43:36 #! ## VixDiskLib: config options: libdir 'C:Program FilesCommVaultSimpanaBaseVMwareVDDK', tmpDir 'C:WindowsTEMPvmware-SYSTEM'.
2904 708 02/23 17:44:40 ### diskLibPlugin: 20! 12-02-23T17:44:40.856Z [01800 info 'Default'] Vmacore::InitSSL:! doVers ionCheck = true, handshakeTimeoutUs = 20000000

I've simply just set it to HOTADD specifically (its either in the backup set propert! ies or the VMware instance properties, I forget) instead of ! leaving it on Auto

Cheers,
Luke

9.0 SP5.

Se nt: 23 February 2012 14:22

That said, I've gotten 140-175GB/hr from a virtualised VSA+MA (design was for a remote site configuration, so not exactly wh! at you're planning to do here but it demonstrates that HOTADD wo! rks [but must be tested for performance]) but what you should be taking into consideration for your Virtual Environment is†the approach in which you are growing your ESX farm - if you are opting more for scale-out than scale-up and! have a high consolidation ratio then I would certainly opt for SAN mo de to reduce any load on the ESX servers.

Kind R! egards,
Luke Walker
--

! On 24 Fe bruary 2012 01:01, Paul Hutchings <paul.hutchings < at > mira.co.uk ([email]paul.hutchings%40mira.co.uk[/email])> wrote:

Hey Paul,

Any reason why you can't go for ! SAN mode? †DAS for datastore?

NBD is alwa! ys going to be one of the slowest transport modes available from the vStorage API (NBDSSL obviously being slower in comparison) so it's not a good comparison between choosing a Physical VSA-MA with SAN mode .vs. a Virtual VSA using HOTADD.
&n! bsp;
Cheers,
Luke

Thanks,
Paul

--
MIRA Ltd

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and are solely for the! use of the intended recipient. If you receive this e-mail! in error, p lease delete it and notify us either by e-mail, telephone or fax. You should not copy, forward or otherwise disclose the content of the e-mail as this is prohibited.

please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.! Thank you."

--
MIRA Ltd

__._,_.___
Messages in this topic (15)

[img]http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=7450851/grpspId=1707277520/msgId=5600/stime=1330028306/nc1=4025291/nc2=5741395/nc3=4507179[/img]
__,_._,___

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next