SearchFAQMemberlist Log in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
NDMP backups
Post NDMP backups 
So, NDMP doesn’t support wildcards, right? As stated in “NetBackup AdminGuide NDMP”:

The following backup selections capabilities are NOT supported for an NDMP
policy:
Wildcards in pathnames. For example, /home/* is an invalid entry.
Individual file names. Only directory or volume names are allowed.
Exclude list (because client software is not installed on the NDMP host). You
can, however, exclude files by using the SET keyword.

I have a large folder full of sub folders that need to be backed up. Ideally, I’d love to have multiple streams running in the job. I was hoping to split them out by the alphabet, as in A*, B*, C*, etc. NDMP won’t let you do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how else to achieve this?

We’re trying to backup an Isilon via NDMP to a Data Domain via OST from the media server.

--
Nate Sanders Sr. System Administrator
Digital Motorworks, Inc (512) 692 - 1038

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Post NDMP backups 
Would it be possible to make the policy read the Backup Selections from a file? We could easily automate the creation of this file into chunks of streams for the existing folders. My concern with a manual list is that new folders will be created and missed.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Sanders, Nate (DS)
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:25 PM
To: veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

So, NDMP doesn’t support wildcards, right? As stated in “NetBackup AdminGuide NDMP”:

policy:

I have a large folder full of sub folders that need to be backed up. Ideally, I’d love to have multiple streams running in the job. I was hoping to split them out by the alphabet, as in A*, B*, C*, etc. NDMP won’t let you do this. Anyone have any suggestions on how else to achieve this?

We’re trying to backup an Isilon via NDMP to a Data Domain via OST from the media server.

--

This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your system.

Post NDMP backups 
Hello,

You can make a script that first change the policy file selection using bpplinclude command and then run the policy.

stefanos

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Sanders, Nate
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 8:57 PM
To: Sanders, Nate; veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

Would it be possible to make the policy read the Backup Selections from a file? We could easily automate the creation of this file into chunks of streams for the existing folders. My concern with a manual list is that new folders will be created and missed.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Sanders, Nate (DS)

policy:

--

Post NDMP backups 
You could generate your list and either using bp.... commands or update /usr/openv/netbackup/db/class/<policy>/include, but either way the policy must be updated BEFORE it is started as it will not look at the list of files again. Also you need to nbpemreq(?) -updatepolicies before you start it.
I'm sure the first method, bp.... commands would be supported, I'm not sure about the second method as VERTIAS/Symantec sort of frown on these things. Smile

On 01/11/2011 19:56, Sanders, Nate wrote: v:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} <![endif]--> <![endif]--> <![endif]-->

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu ([email]veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email]) [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu ([email]veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email])] On Behalf Of Sanders, Nate (DS)
To: veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu ([email]veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu[/email])

policy:
■ Wildcards in pathnames. For example, /home/* is an invalid entry.
■ Individual file names. Only directory or volume names are allowed.
■ Exclude list (because client software is not installed on the NDMP host). You

--

I have some NDMP policies that use the following directive:

SET EXCLUDE = *.vswp

It seems to work.

Post NDMP backups 
Ooh, so this would simply be a script to modify the actual Backup Selections list, before the job runs. I was only imaging some kind of script that would have to be cron’d to actually run the job itself, which obviously I would not want as the policy/schedule would be outside NBU.

I will investigate this.

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:21 PM
To: Sanders, Nate (DS); veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

Hello,

You can make a script that first change the policy file selection using bpplinclude command and then run the policy.

stefanos

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Sanders, Nate

policy:

--

Post NDMP backups 
You may create the script as you like.
If you use the script only to change the file selection, be sour that it will run before the policy.
But, yes, you may create a script that will change the data selection and run the policy manually (bpbackup –i), using cron

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 9:31 PM
To: smpt; veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu

Ooh, so this would simply be a script to modify the actual Backup Selections list, before the job runs. I was only imaging some kind of script that would have to be cron’d to actually run the job itself, which obviously I would not want as the policy/schedule would be outside NBU.

I will investigate this.

Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 2:21 PM
To: Sanders, Nate (DS); veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
Subject: RE: [Veritas-bu] NDMP backups

Hello,

stefanos

policy:

--

forget NDMP with Isilon.....there is much better method, which I have only done with NFS.

Take your media server and hard mount UNC to each individual node.

take the number of subdirectories in the root and divide by the number of nodes

yes it might not be an even number, but you'll have slight imbalance..1

yes...you could script to check for subs in root and chop it up evenly and update backup selections

Or, if you have tight controls where you work...anytime storage admin creates a new subdirectory in root, you are notified to rebalance backup selections.

then set backup selections as follows

For example: you have four nodes and 16 subs

NEW_STREAM

//unc-path-node1/ifs/directories 1-4

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node2/ifs/directories 5-8

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node3/ifs/directories 9-12

NEW_STREAM
//unc-path-node4/ifs/directories 13-16

what this winds up doing is making the Isilon use its backplane (Infiniband) between nodes because that's what its meant for...the collective throughput of many connections to many nodes being hit all at once.

10GbE on media server really rips!!

I've seen 500+ MB per seond

Post NDMP backups 
This is a nice solution if you can get the speed out of it. I prefer doing
backups this way as large NDMP streams fail and cause havoc when you have
to restart it.

You can then setup a 'catch all' policy that backs up All Local Drives,
or all the mount points, but has exclusions for everything you've
specified in the other policies. This way when someone adds something and
doesn't inform you, it's still protected.

-Rusty

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of oersted
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 11:45 PM
To: VERITAS-BU < at > MAILMAN.ENG.AUBURN.EDU

forget NDMP with Isilon.....there is much better method, which I have only
done with NFS.

take the number of subdirectories in the root and divide by the number of
nodes

yes...you could script to check for subs in root and chop it up evenly and
update backup selections

Or, if you have tight controls where you work...anytime storage admin
creates a new subdirectory in root, you are notified to rebalance backup
selections.

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

what this winds up doing is making the Isilon use its backplane
(Infiniband) between nodes because that's what its meant for...the
collective throughput of many connections to many nodes being hit all at
once.

+----------------------------------------------------------------------
|This was sent by solaris < at > cablespeed.com via Backup Central.
|Forward SPAM to abuse < at > backupcentral.com.

Veritas-bu maillist - Veritas-bu < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu
http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu

Post NDMP backups 
Haven't done it with NDMP but for other multi-stream backups if you set checkpoints then you can resume any stream that fails and it will still be seen as part of the original backup. Another beauty of resume is it backs up from the point of last checkpoint before failure rather than restarting the entire stream.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Rusty Major
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:55 AM
To: VERITAS-BU < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu

to restart it.

-Rusty

done with NFS.

nodes

update backup selections

selections.

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

once.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)
Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

---------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.
----------------------------------

Post NDMP backups 
Don't believe checkpoints/resume works with NDMP.

Also, can anyone verify if multi data streams is supposed to work on NBU 7.0.1? I've got 8 streams running from one job and at first one of them was writing data and had throughput, now none of them are. They all say "writing", but none of throughput showing or anything else.

Yet my Data Domain shows 100+MB/s coming in over two interfaces.. I have no idea what's actually going on with the jobs.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Lightner, Jeff
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:14 AM

Haven't done it with NDMP but for other multi-stream backups if you set checkpoints then you can resume any stream that fails and it will still be seen as part of the original backup. Another beauty of resume is it backs up from the point of last checkpoint before failure rather than restarting the entire stream.

From: veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces < at > mailman.eng.auburn.edu] On Behalf Of Rusty Major
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 10:55 AM

to restart it.

-Rusty

done with NFS.

nodes

update backup selections

selections.

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

NEW_STREAM

once.

Athena(r), Created for the Cause(tm)
Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer

---------------------------------
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it. Thank you.
----------------------------------

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1