Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Problems restoring

Posted by dave 
Problems restoring
August 30, 2010 11:50AM
Hello,

We have BrightStor ARCserve r11.5 SP4 (Build 4490), and when I’m trying to recover some documents of a user I receive the following error:

[i]BrightStor ARCServe Backup Restore[/i]
[i]E3841[/i]
[i]Unable to find session number. (MEDIA=WEEK4, SESSION=1, EC=BAD PARAMETER PASSED)[/i]
[i]N3765[/i]
[i]Media Error During Restore of Session, Checking For Duplicate Session[/i]
[i]N3766[/i]
[i]Media Error During Restore of Session, No Duplicate Sessions Found[/i]

I had checked the Devices and looked for the WEEK4 location which is on a NAS on the network. I had checked that the NAS can be accessed from the host that ARCserve runs on and made sure that the backup file is there (about 360Gb long).
Is there a way to make ARCserve rescan that archive to see what it contains?
Can you point me in the right direction ?

Thank you.
Problems restoring
August 30, 2010 07:28PM
Since the details were left out, there is some guessing here that the backup is done to a FSD File System Device residing on a remote NAS. However that does not quite fit since a FSD is not a single file, it is made up of controll files and then an additional file for each session all under the same folder making up the FSD. Additionally each FSD will equal 1 tape so typically there will be any number of FSDs since normal backup stratigy is to rotate backup media.

Some test restores might be helpful.
Such as:
restore of a different file in the same session.
restore of any file in a different session.
restore of any file in a different FSD.
copy the complete contents of the FSD folder to the local system to eliminate a possible problem with the remote access.

It is possible to "rescan", Manager > Quick Start > Utilities > Scan.
The default will scan for Session, if under Options Log it is set to log all activity it will also scan for the contents of the sessions.
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.