it’s been just over two weeks since I’ve made my switch. I thought I’d share some thoughts.
First, I don’t miss Windows. I’m amazed at how quickly this box does things, and it has 1/3 the memory I had in my Windows laptop. I leave everything running all the time (Mail, Browser, Word, itunes, etc) and almost never see a beach ball (mac’s equivalent of hourglass).
I almost wish I had bought a new Mac, as I feel like I’d have more support from
But everything hasn’t been peachy keen. Some of these are disappointments about things that work differently, some are flat out problems.
Update: Some of these remaining problems are already fixed and I’ve included updates as appropriate.
- [Solved] Although I can get the builtin Mail client working with Exchange, I can’t get Entourage working with it at all. No errors, it just does nothing. (I needed to tell it to use a secure connection. The Mail client just figured that out.)
- [Hopefully Solved. I did this.] I connected a Mac Bluetooth mouse to my laptop, but it gets disconnected when I sleep/wakeup. I have to reconnect it in system properties. Yuck.
- I tried to connect a Plantronics Bluetooth headset but it didn’t work. It said it was connected, but couldn’t get it to play sound. Mind you, I connected this same headset to my Windows PC no problem. AND when I had it connected, my Bluetooth mouse starting acting sluggish! As soon as I deleted it’s config, my BT mouse started working again.
- I found iMovie to be far from intuitive.
- [Solved. I installed Flip4Mac beta.] The regular versioin doesn’t support Snow Leopard yet.] I can play AVI files in Qtime, but not WMV files. (It complains saying that QT has to be installed first.)
- Since I have the “tap equals click” turned on with my touchpad, I’m constantly accidentally dragging and dropping things. Hate that when that happens. [This happens a lot less when I use the real mouse, of course.]
- There is a bug in the built-in Mail client that displays that I have unread messages when I don’t. If I close it and reopen it, the number goes away.
- [Solved. it’s unaccepted appt requests!] I still have no idea what the number hoveriing over ical means. it’s not appointments today. What is it? Appointments this week? I’m clueless here.
Still happy, though.
----- Signature and Disclaimer -----
Written by W. Curtis Preston (@wcpreston). For those of you unfamiliar with my work, I've specialized in backup & recovery since 1993. I've written the O'Reilly books on backup and have worked with a number of native and commercial tools. I am now Chief Technical Evangelist at Druva, the leading provider of cloud-based data protection and data management tools for endpoints, infrastructure, and cloud applications. These posts reflect my own opinion and are not necessarily the opinion of my employer.